Mixing an 800MHz ram with 667MHZ ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amgamer29

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Ok I have 2GB of DDR2 RAM @800 MHz running in my Mobo for 2 years now.
Yesterday I got another stick of 2GB DDR2 RAM @667 MHz (By mistake)
So I dont really want to go through the return product process on Flipkart,
Now I am aware that my 800 Mhz Ram will downclock to 667 Mhz
My question is....
Would the new 677 Mhz ram mixed with 800 mhz ram have any problems with my pc?
I know both the rams wont run at their maximum capability but still would the difference be that BIG?
Also I would still be benefited by 4 GB of ram than 2GB even if their clock speeds are different right?

Solution
Well, RAM from a diff. batch might cause some errors even if they are of the same manufacturer/latency/frequency & capacity.
I know both the rams wont run at their maximum capability but still would the difference be that BIG?
Nah, the difference would be negligible.
Also I would still be benefited by 4 GB of ram than 2GB even if their clock speeds are different right?
Yes, you will benefit from 4gb. A 64bit OS (with 64bit apps)would make better use of that 4gigs.

Its not really a good idea to mix different speed RAM, but it might just work for you.
Run Memtest86 to test your RAM.(If you choose to go through with it)

Goodluck :)

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Well, RAM from a diff. batch might cause some errors even if they are of the same manufacturer/latency/frequency & capacity.
Nah, the difference would be negligible.
Yes, you will benefit from 4gb. A 64bit OS (with 64bit apps)would make better use of that 4gigs.

Its not really a good idea to mix different speed RAM, but it might just work for you.
Run Memtest86 to test your RAM.(If you choose to go through with it)

Goodluck :)

Solution

xtreme5

Distinguished

i'm running different speeds of RAM in 3 stick and never gave a problem.
400mhz,400mhz,133mhz DDR.

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

In the past I ran a 533MHz & 667MHz together. I didn't had any problems either :D
But one should, go through it knowing that some motherboards are very sensitive to mismatched ram & they might just run into some issues. I believe that's why RAM are sold in kits.

Anyways, You can give it a try, it'll most probably work. If it doesn't, get it replaced. :)

amgamer29

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I have installed the RAM and the improvement is significant.
Feels much more faster.
Everything seems to be working out great. Hope it stays that way
Thank you for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS