[SOLVED] Mixing and Matching Case fans?

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Is it okay to use different case fans in a pc case? Is it compatible and will there be any possible issues besides aesthetically?

My friend may be gifting me one or a few corsair ll120's, though I do not want to get more to fit the rest of the build (way too expensive), just wondering if I can get other case fans and what they should be.

Solution
Your feet don't care if you wear mismatched socks, and your shoes won't complain about the colors.

There's only 2 concerns about adding fans. 1). Do they physically fit. Can't really make a 140mm fan fit in a slot designed for 120mm fans, the holes don't line up for the screws. 2). Does the motherboard have enough header space to add the fans. Most ppl will use a splitter on 2x fans in front or top, so as to use only 1 header for 2 fans. But many budget mATX motherboards only have 1 or 2 system/case fan headers so to have 5 fans total requires a fan hub, powered splitter for 4 pwm or some sort of add-on fan controller for 3 pin fans. Can't use 4pin and 3pin on the same header or they'll always run at full 12v speeds.

Other than...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your feet don't care if you wear mismatched socks, and your shoes won't complain about the colors.

There's only 2 concerns about adding fans. 1). Do they physically fit. Can't really make a 140mm fan fit in a slot designed for 120mm fans, the holes don't line up for the screws. 2). Does the motherboard have enough header space to add the fans. Most ppl will use a splitter on 2x fans in front or top, so as to use only 1 header for 2 fans. But many budget mATX motherboards only have 1 or 2 system/case fan headers so to have 5 fans total requires a fan hub, powered splitter for 4 pwm or some sort of add-on fan controller for 3 pin fans. Can't use 4pin and 3pin on the same header or they'll always run at full 12v speeds.

Other than those, you can mix and match fans as you like and those LL120 are pretty decent fans.

Reactions: Hypoltan
Solution