[SOLVED] Mixing brands of RAM - way to test?

May 12, 2021
I've been reading threads on the issues with mixing brands of RAM that otherwise have the same speed, form factor, etc.

BUT, there doesn't seem to be any discussion of ways to test those combinations of RAM.

I recently bought 8GB DDR3L SODIMM (Kingston KCP3L16SD8/8)
.. and installed it next to Samsung's M47B1G73DB0-YK0 in an older Toshiba laptop.

Everything seems to work but I'm not sure if I'm getting full use of the RAM. Is there a way to test this combination before I go out and purchase an additional 8GB of the Kingston RAM to replace the Samsung?

Memtest and the Windows Memory Diagnostic tests have come back clean but I don't know if that also means that I'm now getting the benefit of the additional RAM when using applications.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Long as Windows recognises all ram as usable and portion of it not in hardware reserved then that's good enough.

Can also use Cpuz to verify ram amount and frequencies.

Mixing ram either works or it doesn't, 50/50 chance. Checking with the above methods is pretty much all there is to it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Long as Windows recognises all ram as usable and portion of it not in hardware reserved then that's good enough.

Can also use Cpuz to verify ram amount and frequencies.

Mixing ram either works or it doesn't, 50/50 chance. Checking with the above methods is pretty much all there is to it.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Generally speaking, in a case like this the PC is going to default timings to the slowest stick of RAM, if such is the case. By and large I have found that most of the Intel machines I have run across done like this didn't seem to care. I would not even attempt to do so on a Ryzen unless there was simply no other option.

TRENDING THREADS