[SOLVED] Mixing CL Ram

Feb 3, 2022
Hey there im using right now hyperx 16gb ram with 3466 CL16
and i want to buy another ram but i cant find with the same cl
so my question is can i mix my current hyperx 16gb 3466 cl16 with hyperx 16gb 3466 cl 17 ?

Solution
there is always a chance that it could work by manually setting speed, timings, & voltage to the slowest module's specs but the majority of the time users end up causing issue when mixing kits of memory even if they are the exact same make & model.

can prevent the system from booting at all, can cause random crashing or errors within software, can cause performance loss due to the modules not syncing properly, can result in corrupt data and/or many other problems.

the best option is to buy a new 2x 16GB kit.
there is always a chance that it could work by manually setting speed, timings, & voltage to the slowest module's specs but the majority of the time users end up causing issue when mixing kits of memory even if they are the exact same make & model.

can prevent the system from booting at all, can cause random crashing or errors within software, can cause performance loss due to the modules not syncing properly, can result in corrupt data and/or many other problems.

the best option is to buy a new 2x 16GB kit.

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Your proposal might work, but it would run at the common set of specs.

Really better to buy a 64gb kit that is explicitly supported by your motherboard.
Here is the QVL list:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-P/PRIME_Z390-P_DRAM_QVL_20191018.pdf

Looking at the list, there are a fair number of 3600 speed supported kits.
Mostly g.skil in 64gb capacity.

If you favor Kingston, go to their ram selection app and see what they support for your motherboard.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019

Read the above document , checking to see if the ram you want to buy is listed. If it is not, then find a kit that is on the list and buy it. Also read the manuals for your motherboard and cpu.

But as already mentioned, mixing old & new ram is generally a bad idea and could cause several issues that might be difficult to understand, let alone correct, since you say your knowledge is limited.... but that is no excuse for trying to get others to do your research for you.... :)

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you will never learn these things if you don't make an effort to do so....

M@xLangel

Prominent
Apr 23, 2022
Can some1 check for me or help me i dont really understand but i want to buy more rams
Dont worry Siko , i have a pair of 8gb TForce Delta Rgb 3200mhz black color rams , but after awhile i sold 1 because my frend really need it, Since i need atleast 16gigs of ram i went to amazon but i cant find the one i used but i found one ie TForce Delta 8gb 3200mhz and it was white so i like the color white ram so i bought it.When it arrived and checked the specs,its the same mhz ofc but the CL was different a bit , but i used it and i have had never a single problem yet so far since i plugged it in . Been using for a month now maybe a lil more. But tbh, i dont know much whether it affects the performance but there has been no problem , used it mainly for gaming. But i will buy the white one again and sell the black one. But to the point , dont worry if its not exactly the same CL ,thers no problem whatsoever !!! Btw ,mine is also CL16 and CL 17 !!! But i wish u cud find the same CL cos it jst feels right .

M@xLangel

Prominent
Apr 23, 2022
Dont worry Siko , i have a pair of 8gb TForce Delta Rgb 3200mhz black color rams , but after awhile i sold 1 because my frend really need it, Since i need atleast 16gigs of ram i went to amazon but i cant find the one i used but i found one ie TForce Delta 8gb 3200mhz and it was white so i like the color white ram so i bought it.When it arrived and checked the specs,its the same mhz ofc but the CL was different a bit , but i used it and i have had never a single problem yet so far since i plugged it in . Been using for a month now maybe a lil more. But tbh, i dont know much whether it affects the performance but there has been no problem , used it mainly for gaming. But i will buy the white one again and sell the black one. But to the point , dont worry if its not exactly the same CL ,thers no problem whatsoever !!! Btw ,mine is also CL16 and CL 17 !!! But i wish u cud find the same CL cos it jst feels right .
I found one but its 8gb...

But tbh, i dont know much whether it affects the performance but there has been no problem , used it mainly for gaming. But i will buy the white one again and sell the black one. But to the point , dont worry if its not exactly the same CL ,thers no problem whatsoever !!! Btw ,mine is also CL16 and CL 17 !!! But i wish u cud find the same CL cos it jst feels right .

To be honest YES you don't know and it may be a while before you suddenly have an unexplained shutdown or restart. Just because YOU have no problems whatsoever means nothing.
Many queries at this Forum are user/builders asking why their system has sudden strange symptoms that point to RAM only for us to discover they have mixed or combined differing Frequency and CL RAM and even from differing manufacturers.

If you only new the complexities involved regarding the manufacture of RAM (Akin to Rocket Science) you would better understand why your advice is incorrect.

We try hard to instill on beginners not to mix RAM (usually for budgetary reasons) even with exactly the same specs. YES some get lucky however MOST DON'T.

When you really get into the Science of RAM manufacture, even those with considerable overclocking skills rarely delve beyond setting Primary and maybe some secondary but rarely tertiary Timings. And getting Voltage correct.

When your dealing with Cas Latency your essentially referring to the Density/quality of the Silicone in the chips (manufacturers have varying sources and techniques of silicon production) Minute variations in Latency are common and the reason DIMM modules are binned into single matching kits.

You have not given the best advice that purchasers of RAM need to hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satan-IR
Why do you think you need more ram?

What is the make/model of your motherboard and cpu?

If you ask for advice, you should consider taking it.
But...
You have been given conflicting advice on how to go from 16gb of ram to 32gb.

If you just buy an additional 16gb and it does not work, what will you do?
That is a definite possibility.

Can you return the 16gb?
What if it initially works, but instability shows up later.
Could you still return the ram then?

Do you dump all your ram in favor of a supported 32gb kit which you should have bought in the first place?