Mixing DDR3 RAM speed

Durakken

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
here's my mobo http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3395#ov
I can have up to 16GB RAM. I didn't notice till I got home and I bought more ram sorta on whim.

New RAM is Corsair 2x4GB 1600 DDR3 RAM/ CAS Latency 9-9-9-24/ 1.50V
Old RAM is Corsair 2x2GB 1300 DDR3 RAM/ CAS Latency 9-9-9-24/ 1.65V

Should I mix these or just pull the old RAM and use only the new RAM?
If I do mix is there anything I need to do to max sure nothing is wrong with them?
Also what is the general result of this mixture?

itialianpasta

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

You should keep them separate. Ive been told to stay away from mixing ram like that but I could be wrong. Doubt it though.... :sol:

Sometimes mixing memory like this does not work no matter what you do and in other times you get no problems, it all depends on the BIOS and the type of memory. Certainly keep them together and once fitted run a memory test program such as memtest86 for at least three passes and preferably overnight

Durakken

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Well... too late now. If anything is wrong what would be the first signs that I should be looking for?

( i don't feel like burning a disc and all that so can't do memtest86... also don't have a disc readily available at the moment)

Also the results seems to be fine at the moment and the clock from what I can understand seems to have been turned downed.

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Don't EVER mix RAM. All I'm going to say. RAM isn't expensive, for a 16GB 1600Mhz you're looking to pay like what, $100? RAM isn't that expensive...

Durakken

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I'm not getting any problems so far so looks like it's fine, but I'll keep an eye out for freezes and blue screens

storm slider - Since that is all you're going to say that's not enough for me to crack my system open and remove the RAM. It seems to me that the only problem is if there are freezes/blue screens. If I get one I'll pick the RAM out, unless you have actual reasons you are willing to share. I will likely get another 8GB, same brand and such, in a month, but don't have the money right this second nor do i want to do the work to remove the ram...especially how they are in there now which will make it difficult to pop out easily.

The new fan i got really took up a lot of space in my case (which might get bigger since i that cooler can have another fan attached to it and i accidentally bought a CPU fan rather than a case fan it looks like) and the new RAM is like twice the physical size as the old 2 sticks which means i have to maneuver around them both and that isn't going to be fun.

TRENDING THREADS