[SOLVED] Mixing DDR4 DIMM with SO-DIMM on Ryzen platform.

bencike04201

Honorable
Jul 14, 2018
First of all, my specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (not OC´d)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
Patriot Viper Elite 16GB Kit (2x8) DDR4-2666MHz CL16 1.2V DIMM
The rest of the specs imo is unnecessary to mention. So the deal is that I am upgrading my laptop´s memory to 16GB also, and that lefts me with a pair of SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 SO DIMM modules just lying around. Instead of selling them I opted to put them into my rig, as I´ve seen those adapters on Aliexpress (STD JET-5608 DDR4 SO-DIMM to DIMM Adapters). I watched some videos about them, like LTT´s, where Linus says it´s OK to try it, but it only worked when there was no other kit of ram in the system (first he tried to do quad channel, cuz his mb was x99, but it only worked with just the sodimm modules in the motherboard). On the other hand, I saw another video where these exact adapters were working with Intel chipsets (X99, Z370), but not with AMD Ryzen chipsets (B350, X370 and X470 too). So my question is, should i take the 10€ gamble and risk the potential of not working with other ram modules installed, or even not working with my B450 chipset, as the Ryzen memory controller is quite finnicky?

Solution
So with that...mixing RAM is always a crapshoot, no matter what system.
Ryzen is much more sensitive to the RAM config.
The gamble is all up to you.

bencike04201

Honorable
Jul 14, 2018
Putting a SODIMM in an adapter in a desktop is one thing.
Putting a fullsize DIMM into an adapter that works in the other direction....in a laptop...is there physical space in that laptop? Doubtful.
What? I am not saying that I want to put a DIMM to a SODIMM slot. I am talking about sodimm in a dimm adapter compatibility with a normal DIMM in a full size desktop motherboard.