Question Mixing DDR4 modules with different timings

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Good day,

I am currently running on a single 16GB DDR4 module and is planning to upgrade to 16GB x 2 to take advantage of the additional performance brought by running on dual channel mode. I have found on amazon a similar module to the one that I have but it differs with the timings. Please see details below:

CURRENTLY INSTALLED RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 1x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18 1.35V(Model no. KF432C16BB1/16)

PROPOSED ADDITIONAL RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury Beast 1x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16-20-20 1.35V(Model no. KF432C16BB/16)

Can you please explain to me what will happen if I install this proposed ram together with my existing ram? Will my computer boot up normally? Do i need to manually adjust the timings so that they computer would run properly and not cause BSODs?

other computer specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600
MB - AORUS B550i PRO AX
GPU - ASUS RTX 2070 MINI

Thank you in advance!

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I have recently found myself wading into this Memory Timings thing, again! Mostly because these LAZY MANUFACTURERS can't seem to be bothered to program an INTERMEDIATE DDR4 XMP PROFILE between Default (2133/2400MHz) and Full Throttle. I can tell you that there have been a significant number of hardware conflicts with different motherboards and "Automatic" xmp Memory Timings, simply because it became cheaper and easier to source larger DDR4 Memory Modules with faster timings whose xmp settings weren't compatible with or were faster than the maximum timings of the motherboard!

With DDR3 it was the AM3+ Systems that had timing issues above 1,866MHz, so if you put in 2,000/2,133/2,400Mhz modules, all you'd get would be the Default Timings for 1,333MHz, or LockUP! If you wanted 1,866MHz, you would more-than-likely have to research the timings and enter them manually! This SUCKED if the CMOS Battery needed to be replaced, because there are over 2-dozen settings to reprogram!

As for DDR4, there was a point where some of the X170-thru-Z290 Gen6/7/8 Intel Systems were maxing out at 3,000/3,200MHz, so any of the later 3,266/3,333/3,466/3,600+ modules would only run at the Default Memory Timings of 2,133/2,400Mhz or just Boot Loop with the xmp Timings! I got so fed up of wasting my time having to Manually ReEnter the Timings on my Z170, that I downloaded an XMP Profile Programmer that I found through this forum and filled in my own Intermediate xmp Settings into several of my modules. After extensive experimentation with several manufacturers modules (G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, etc), I found that if you use that manufacturers previous generation xmp profiles, they worked without tweaking. So, if you had a 3,600MHz 16GB G.Skill Module, I would program the xmp timings for the 2,800/3,000/3,200MHz 16GB previous generation modules into the Empty xmp Profile Space on my DDR4 modules. BTW this also works if you have adjusted & tweaked for an Xtreme OC on any memory module as well!

In your case, use the timings from the SLOWER CL16-20-20 MODULE for both of them, and that more-than-likely will work first try. Unless you are comfortable attempting to play around with OverClocking the slower module...or if you simply don't want any issues, match the Kingston Module you already have exactly, or just buy a certified matched prepackaged Pair or Quad.

Last edited: