[SOLVED] Mixing Difference Size Rams and Performance Increase

Witterings

Honorable
Dec 23, 2016
Is it generally OK to mix different size rams .. I have a laptop with 4 slots and a max 12gb capacity, it currently has 4gb non removable and 2gb removebale in another slot leaving 2 slots free.

If I want to go to the maximum 12gb am I better off getting another 4gb and a 2gb and using both the available slots OR for about the same cost I could just get 1 x 8gb and remove the 2gb that's in there??

Also where do you see the biggest increases in performance, will the machine boot faster and will things like Outlook and Word load quicker after it's been re-booted or only if they've been opened once and then closed but the laptop not powered down before re-opening them?

Solution
you have to see what the slot can actually hold. my guess is that the 2 slots you can fill would be limited to 4 gb sticks. but i need more info to know what the laptop can actually hold.

as for outlook and word being faster, that is unlikely. they take little resources anyway and likely would not see any benefit from the extra ram.

where you will see some benefit is if oyu keep lots of things open at once. i usually have 6-7 programs running, browser, music etc all at once. each program uses ram and other resources so the more you have the better that scenario will work for you.

finally, more than likely the 2 slots are a dual channel and would be best if you used a matched set of ram to ensure it works right. not using dual channel...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you have to see what the slot can actually hold. my guess is that the 2 slots you can fill would be limited to 4 gb sticks. but i need more info to know what the laptop can actually hold.

as for outlook and word being faster, that is unlikely. they take little resources anyway and likely would not see any benefit from the extra ram.

where you will see some benefit is if oyu keep lots of things open at once. i usually have 6-7 programs running, browser, music etc all at once. each program uses ram and other resources so the more you have the better that scenario will work for you.

finally, more than likely the 2 slots are a dual channel and would be best if you used a matched set of ram to ensure it works right. not using dual channel when it is available, is a wasted opportunity for a nice speed boost.

Solution

Witterings

Honorable
Dec 23, 2016

finally, more than likely the 2 slots are a dual channel and would be best if you used a matched set of ram to ensure it works right. not using dual channel when it is available, is a wasted opportunity for a nice speed boost.

Thank you for your help ... much appreciated, I've posted a link of a report from Crucial's analytics tool ... is there any chance you could have a look and see what configuration I'd be best off with??

In some ways I'm tempted just to go the most cost effective route and just buy another 4gb which in percentage terms would be a large increase to the existing but if a more costly alternative would make a lot of difference I'd spend the extra.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i trust crucial's memory tool. if it says you can do a single 8 gb, then it will work. but i'd still go with 2 x4gb to lower any issues that might pop up.

here is a 2 x 4 gb kit at newegg for under $40 that would work nicely. you'll have to remove the 2 gb stick obviously as this will fill the 12 gb capacity

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820231698?Item=N82E16820231698

otherwise if you wish to stick with crucial, here's their 2 x 4 gb kit

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820148807?Item=9SIAKRHB566264

Reactions: Witterings

Witterings

Honorable
Dec 23, 2016
i trust crucial's memory tool. if it says you can do a single 8 gb, then it will work. but i'd still go with 2 x4gb to lower any issues that might pop up.

here is a 2 x 4 gb kit at newegg for under $40 that would work nicely. you'll have to remove the 2 gb stick obviously as this will fill the 12 gb capacity

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820231698?Item=N82E16820231698

otherwise if you wish to stick with crucial, here's their 2 x 4 gb kit

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-8gb-204-pin-ddr3-so-dimm/p/N82E16820148807?Item=9SIAKRHB566264

Brilliant and thank you so much .... I really appreciate your help !!!!:)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Really odd. Most slots come in designated sizes, either it'll hold 4Gb or 8Gb etc. With 4Gb non removable and 3x extra slots, I would have assumed the pc could hold upto 16Gb total. 12Gb is such an odd number for max that I've not seen before.

As far as single/dual channel goes, mostly that won't make any noticable difference. They work the same. The only real difference being that dual channel doubles the bandwidth of single channel, but unless you exceed the possibile bandwidth of single channel, having more means nothing.