Mixing different brands of RAM

Zhaky

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I currently have a 2gb Samsung M3 78T5663EH3-CF7 RAM and I want to add another stick of ram.I'm thinking of the KINGSTON DDR-II 2GB 667MHZ KVR667D2N5/2G,the frequency,voltage and so match,but I am not sure of it the timings match.So,what I need to know is if I can safely add the other stick of ram and if I have to do anything more than just adding it in the case.(I have read on other sites that if the timings do no match I have to modify them in BIOS??).

Thanks in advance :)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Can always try, no guarantees, because it's never a good idea to mix sets of DRAM, not even the same exact model, get a set today and then another next week (same exact model) and prob hace ICs from different profuction lots, PCBs from different lots and the end result DIMMS prob from different lots....Will/can they be mixed - maybe...maybe not. Best bet is a single package with the amount you want and having had all the sticks in that package tested to play nice together

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

The voltage and latency match but the not the memory speed. The samsung is DDR2-800MHz memory while the kingston is 667MHz. Mixing speed is not a good idea so try getting the same speed. Yes, you can add the other ram along with the existing but the higher speed will be downclocked to the lower speed i.e, 800MHz memory will run @667MHz. Yes, you can modify the timings in the BIOS as long as you do not have a OEM system. If you need any memory recommendation let me know the model number of your system.