[SOLVED] mixing different ram brand

Ahmad_44

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I have 2 ram's pieces of different brand. one is team elite plus 4gig ddr4 2400mhz and the other is corsair vengeance lpx 4gig ddr4 2400mhz. I want to mix them in my pc. I read some article as long as the speed, timing and latency are same then it's okay. is it true? will there be problem in future. much thanks for answers!.

Solution
Since you already have the parts, go ahead and try them.
If it works, fine. If not, no damage will occur.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%
well, it depends what you're doing. if you're not planning to overclock then it probably will be ok (20% chance of issues). If you're planning to overclock your cpu at all this will not work out well for you.

Listen, mix and matching ram works fine in low intensity (office) environments when the most challenge the pc will have is rebooting, and editing pdfs or opening outlook. If you're gaming or overclocking you start to run into more and more problems with it.

So while yes, technically speaking you can match two sticks of ram and come out on the other side with a working pc, I will never suggest anyone do it if they're planning to do any ram intensive tasks like gaming or rendering, or they're planning on overclocking.

Since you already have the parts, go ahead and try them.
If it works, fine. If not, no damage will occur.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

Solution

Ahmad_44

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

what if I buy 2 pieces of these ram https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Memory-Size/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK4GX4M1A2400C14

If it works, good.

If not, you must return the ram. simple as that.

smtrejo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2017
well, it depends what you're doing. if you're not planning to overclock then it probably will be ok (20% chance of issues). If you're planning to overclock your cpu at all this will not work out well for you.

Hi, does this apply for TurboBoost on Intel CPU's? I have an old i5-3470 and I plan to get more ram.