[SOLVED] Mixing Different Ram Speeds

Dec 1, 2020
I built my computer back in 2018 which back then I bought a 2x8gb pack of TridentZ rgb ram at 3000mhz.
Fast forward to now I just bought a 3200mhz 2x8 gb tridentz rgb ram. I'm wondering if they would well together.
Also like what bios settings I would need to change as I haven't accessed bios since I built my pc.
I have a intel system with asus z390-egaming motherboard.

Solution
I ran A windows memory test and everything seems to work fine. Checked all my software and they recognize the new ram so I think I got lucky and I'm good
Windows memory test just won't do.
If you want to make sure you "got lucky" use Memtest86 instead.
Download Memtest86 and create a bootable USB flash drive and run the test.
You might want to run it when you are not using the system for al least 5 hours for 16GB or 8 hours for 32GB.

I built my computer back in 2018 which back then I bought a 2x8gb pack of TridentZ rgb ram at 3000mhz.
Fast forward to now I just bought a 3200mhz 2x8 gb tridentz rgb ram. I'm wondering if they would well together.
Also like what bios settings I would need to change as I haven't accessed bios since I built my pc.
I have a intel system with asus z390-egaming motherboard.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match stick that have different Speed, CAS latency, timings,voltage, etc.
Half of the times a computer will run just fine when mixing different brands, sizes and speeds. Motherboards might, automatically, underclock the faster RAM stick to match the other, so you wouldn't run into any issues.
I have encounter times when the motherboard just refuses to work with different brands or speeds.

Dec 1, 2020

It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match stick that have different Speed, CAS latency, timings,voltage, etc.
Half of the times a computer will run just fine when mixing different brands, sizes and speeds. Motherboards might, automatically, underclock the faster RAM stick to match the other, so you wouldn't run into any issues.
I have encounter times when the motherboard just refuses to work with different brands or speeds.
Yeah I only bought the different speed because it was on sale at that time otherwise I wouldn't have

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I only bought the different speed because it was on sale at that time otherwise I wouldn't have
This gets asked here multiple times per day.

The answer people WANT to hear is "Yes it will work no problem".
The actual REAL answer is "Maybe".

Unless bought as an actual set, the only answer is Maybe.
There is NO way to predict a mixed set will work, until it works or fails

Reactions: DMAN999
Dec 1, 2020
You could try them and see if it works out.
If it doesn't, I would sell both kits and get a a 32GB (2x 16GB) RAM kit
I ran A windows memory test and everything seems to work fine. Checked all my software and they recognize the new ram so I think I got lucky and I'm good

Windows memory test just won't do.
If you want to make sure you "got lucky" use Memtest86 instead.
Download Memtest86 and create a bootable USB flash drive and run the test.
You might want to run it when you are not using the system for al least 5 hours for 16GB or 8 hours for 32GB.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS