Mixing Dimm and Simm in Dual Channel Mode

billybobjon

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I was working on my factory made computer and tried to flash my bios. lets just say something went wrong and now my computer wont come on. So i ordered a Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H MoBo with AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 7850, 2.80GHz (black edition). I am really wanting to use some of my old parts. I currently have 2-2gb 667mhz double sided OCZ chips, and 2-1gb 800mhz single sided chips, I have researched alot and found out that without taking the dimm/simm thing into consideration, it would be ok to run these in dual channel mode as long as i put the two matching chips in the correct ram banks (example 2 2gb in 1 and 3, and 2 1 gb in bank 2 and 4) but does it matter that 2 are double sided and 2 are single sided, and also i know they are all gonna run at 667mhz, im ok with that, just as long as its stable, can someone please shed some light on this situation?

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I wouldnt waste time trying to use all four as in my experience it wouldnt ever be stable.

Mixing different RAM sizes, specs and brands is a recipe for headaches.

I would suggest sticking with the two OCZ 2GB Dimms in dual channel mode as 4GB is plenty for most people.

billybobjon

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
also i just came up with another question to add onto my orig ?? neway the timings on the ocz 2gb chips is 5-5-5-15 and 1.8v, if i cant use my simm chips and i end up buying more, i cant seem to find those exact ocz chips, so i need to buy more that the timing is 5-5-5-15 or does that matter since they are going in different banks anyway? does that make since? i am pretty new to all this memory stuff.

billybobjon

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
i am using windows vista professional 64bit, everyone else, unless your answering my question, (i dont mean to be rude), please dont comment on what i should do. thank you.

billybobjon

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
i think i may have been using dimm and simm in the wrong way, but still my question stands, can i use 2 dual sided chips and 2 single sided chips in dual channel mode? has anyone ever experimented with this?