Mixing double sided and single sided RAM on a DH67BL and i5 2500k processor

LoneMartin

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Hello.

I was wondering whether I can mix double sided and single sided ram on my cpu. I currently have double sided 2x4gb Kingston 1333 Mhz and was planning to buy more ram. I wanted to buy 2x4gb Kingston 1333 Mhz but this time both single sided. The shop keepers discouraged me to get them because they said the i5 2500k and DH67BL might give some incompatibility issues for the RAM.

Any help/advice would be great :D

Solution
Maybe.

The issue of compatibility is more to do with memory chip architecture rather than the number of sides occupied by chips on memory modules. So, in theory, if the effective memory chip architectures of two DIMM's are the same, but one DIMM is double sided and the other DIMM is single sided, then the two DIMM's might work together.

Also, be aware that due to variations in memory chip and module characteristics, two DIMM's, even from the same batch and even if they have the same part number, may not work together (properly). So, trying to run two different dual channel kits may or may not work together (regardless of single or double sided configuration).

To ensure compatibility and system stability, it is suggested that a 2 x 8...
Maybe.

The issue of compatibility is more to do with memory chip architecture rather than the number of sides occupied by chips on memory modules. So, in theory, if the effective memory chip architectures of two DIMM's are the same, but one DIMM is double sided and the other DIMM is single sided, then the two DIMM's might work together.

Also, be aware that due to variations in memory chip and module characteristics, two DIMM's, even from the same batch and even if they have the same part number, may not work together (properly). So, trying to run two different dual channel kits may or may not work together (regardless of single or double sided configuration).

To ensure compatibility and system stability, it is suggested that a 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit be used instead of trying to run two 2 x 4 GB dual channel kits. Use the memory search feature at Kingston website to find compatible memory.

Solution

LoneMartin

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
It seems that there is no Kingston 2 x 8gb dual channel kit that is compatible with my motherboard. However, there is a 2 x 4gb dual channel kit (one-sided) that is compatible with it. My old ram sticks are not there anymore though so my guess is that they got discontinued already. If you may suggest a good dual channel 2 x 8gb dual channel kit, I would love to hear it. :)

2 x 8 GB kit is preferred, but as an alternative, 4 x 4 GB kit could be used instead.

Crucial have 2 x 8 GB kits available (and 4 x 4 GB kits also); see here.

PNY have compatible 2 x 8 GB and 4 x 4 GB kits also; see here

There is a chance that other memory not listed above might work with the DH67BL motherboard. However, it is not guaranteed that other (2 x 8 GB or 4 x 4 GB kit) memory will be compatible though.