Mixing dual channel RAMs.

Neverluke

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
So, the question is simple. I bought a 16Gb dual channel kit from GSkill for my pc. I used to have another Kingston dual channel kit, but it was a 8Gb one. Of course I`m with the former kit right now, but I still have the last one, and my motherboard has 4 RAM slots, so I tought, why shouldn`t I plug the four of them, all together, for a total of 24Gb?

Assuming that I insert them in dual channel config for each kit, what are your thoughts about performance? Like, gaming and normal usage perfomance. I alredy know it will work, It`s just that it seems even a little bizzare to me, so I dont mind asking first.

Thanks for any answer!

Solution

Yes, even the same exact model RAM can have problems. RAM is not a mass produced item so slight variances can cause compatibility differences. This is more sensitive when it comes to high frequency RAM, but issues can still happen with standard frequency RAM. For this reason, it is always best to use a single complete kit of RAM for optimal results.

Neverluke

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Voltage is the same for both kits, speed can be managed by BIOS settings, CAS are differente for both pairs of course, and as I said, I`m respecting the channels, pairing each RAM with their equal.
So, the question still remains. Would it be any decrease in performance?

Thanks!

Neverluke

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Okey, I`ll test it! Thanks!

So, there can be compatibility isues between RAMs, even tough they share the same DDR type? What can cause this isues?

Yes, even the same exact model RAM can have problems. RAM is not a mass produced item so slight variances can cause compatibility differences. This is more sensitive when it comes to high frequency RAM, but issues can still happen with standard frequency RAM. For this reason, it is always best to use a single complete kit of RAM for optimal results.

Solution