[SOLVED] Mixing GVGB and GVKB G.Skill Memory

Gmanc2

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I wanted to add an additional 16GB of ram to my pc. I was looking and this and this appear identical. I was hoping they are compatible. I have the Newegg version of the ram GVGB.

I wanted to add an additional 16GB of ram to my pc. I was looking and this and this appear identical. I was hoping they are compatible. I have the Newegg version of the ram GVGB.
The only way to ensure compatibility is to select a single RAM kit the size and frequency you need.
Even exact P/N can be a mismatch due to differences in Latency. Kits are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility.
Sometimes they appear to work initially however when the differing RAM are called upon the system crashes.

Many don't understand this problem and try to mix RAM kits due to budgetary constraints. It's never a good idea to mix RAM.

Reactions: Gmanc2

Sohom

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
They are the same set of rams, but still its better to always buy a set of 4 ram modules pack for guaranteed compatibility...
They should work fine anyways... the reason i say a pack is better because i have seen examples like corsair made a certain set of rams with different dies and the only way to know was knowing their versions beforehand and i am not just talking about model number... the same model of ram had hynix dies in one and samsung dies in one...

The only way to ensure compatibility is to select a single RAM kit the size and frequency you need.
Even exact P/N can be a mismatch due to differences in Latency. Kits are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility.
Sometimes they appear to work initially however when the differing RAM are called upon the system crashes.

Many don't understand this problem and try to mix RAM kits due to budgetary constraints. It's never a good idea to mix RAM.

Reactions: Gmanc2

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS