Mixing High-performance RAM with Normal RAM

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
That being said, is it possible? I got four slots, so I was thinking of upgrading to high-performance RAM, but that leaves my normal DDR3 RAM out of the system, or is it?

Or is there any huge difference in having a high-performance RAM compared to normal ones?

Solution
High performance RAM is no different than normal RAM; Only this kind of RAM has ability to be overclocked (hence 'high performance') more compared to normal RAM. Normal RAM can't be overclocked, or maybe only a slightly bit overclockable.

But in terms of working condition and performance, the things are no different.

Please bear in mind that if you mix HP-RAM with normal RAM, the overall speed will run on the slowest one (normal RAM). Also, if you mix, please get same brand, same spec, same type, to make sure you get higher chance of them working together.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
High performance RAM is no different than normal RAM; Only this kind of RAM has ability to be overclocked (hence 'high performance') more compared to normal RAM. Normal RAM can't be overclocked, or maybe only a slightly bit overclockable.

But in terms of working condition and performance, the things are no different.

Please bear in mind that if you mix HP-RAM with normal RAM, the overall speed will run on the slowest one (normal RAM). Also, if you mix, please get same brand, same spec, same type, to make sure you get higher chance of them working together.

Solution

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, right,

You shouldn't dump it too soon. Well, first try to see if they can work together.

Any other great brands are G.Skill, A-Data, Mushkin, OCZ.