Question Mixing OEM and retain CPU in dual socket motherboard Supermicro X10-dal-i-o with (Intel Xeon E5 2690 v3 and Intel Xeon E5 2693 v3 ES)

Feb 14, 2019
Hi Folks,

I bought recently a Supermicro X10-dal-i-o along with two CPU (Intel Xeon E5 2690 v3 and Intel Xeon E5 2693 v3 ES).

In order to two CPU work together

1. CPUs must have the same QPI and RAM speed to work together.

2. CPUs must have the same thermal profile (TDP) to work together.

3. The CPUs must have the same number of physical cores to work together.

4. The CPUs must have the same number of logical cores to work together.

5. Stepping does not matter.

6. Clock speed does not matter.

It appears both of the above mentioned CPU satisfies these condition. Would that be a problem if I try to run these module together or would it damage my hardware in any way

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
First you can;'t legally buy an "ES" CPU. Engineering sample "ES" chips are property of Intel forever. Whoever sold that can be prosecuted by Intel.

I have no idea if those two CPUs will function. ES CPUs may have bugs or other limitations that production CPUs don't. They are not intended for sale to general public.

Reactions: Ayirus
Damage hardware? I dont think soo, even if i've putted non supported CPU in ancient 775 socket it would simply not boot up (it will start up but it would not post).
That ES sample has turbo boost of 3.4GHz and non ES has 3.3GHz
Since stepping and clock speed does not matter, it should work.
But take my answer with grain of salt, since Im "Idiot" with server motherboards.

Reactions: Ayirus
Feb 14, 2019
Damage hardware? I dont think soo, even if i've putted non supported CPU in ancient 775 socket it would simply not boot up (it will start up but it would not post).
That ES sample has turbo boost of 3.4GHz and non ES has 3.3GHz
Since stepping and clock speed does not matter, it should work.
But take my answer with grain of salt, since Im "Idiot" with server motherboards.

Thanks! May be testing is the only way to find out :)

C.wolf

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
First you can;'t legally buy an "ES" CPU. Engineering sample "ES" chips are property of Intel forever. Whoever sold that can be prosecuted by Intel.

I have no idea if those two CPUs will function. ES CPUs may have bugs or other limitations that production CPUs don't. They are not intended for sale to general public.

The vendors may or may not legally sell ES chips depending on contracts, but property, especially things, cannot forever be the property of any entity.
There is very probably no law criminally prohibiting the purchase of ES chips, and there is certainly no such enforceable law.
... and you also won't get in trouble for tearing the label off your mattress.

TRENDING THREADS