[SOLVED] Mixing RAM- Different Speed and Latency

Blazk0_1

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hello,

I currently have 2x8GB sticks of GSkillz TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz installed. (16GB)

I have 2x4GB (8GB) sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz just laying around my house.
I was thinking " why not just install my unused Corsair RAM to get 24GB?"

I understand It will run 24GB @ 2666Mhz....since that's the slowest speed in the bunch.

Considering they both are very common RAM types- will the full 24GB show up and not have any performance issues?

Thank you!

Solution
The chances of performance issues is extremely small.
The chances of it actually recognising 24gb is also small
But you just got to try it, it won't blow up.
You can always run some synthetic benchmarks before you install it and after, and see the difference
Maybe. Maybe not. From time to time DRAM suppliers change their chip vendors and they may get chips with different densities, typically higher density to cut down on the number of chips on a module. So if your old and new modules have chips with different densities they probably won't work together.

Why not just try it?

The chances of performance issues is extremely small.
The chances of it actually recognising 24gb is also small
But you just got to try it, it won't blow up.
You can always run some synthetic benchmarks before you install it and after, and see the difference

Solution

Blazk0_1

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
with two 8GB stick of Gskillz Tridentz RGB (3200 MHz) and two 4GB sticks of Corsair vengeance (2666MHz) - My PC showed 24GB of 2666MHz RAM.

So my PC had no problem, recognizing the 24 GB of RAM. 2 different manufacturers, 2 different speeds AND 2 different sizes! I thought I would run into issues with it recognizing them. I stream sometimes so Im wondering if I should just keep the 24B of RAM in there...would it help?

I gamed with it for about 20 minutes on Battlefield 5, I dont think there were any problems, it didnt crash atleast.

Hypothetical Question:

Would you Rather...

A.) Use 16GB of 3200MHz RAM that is matched and came in the same set?

B.) Mix 2 different sets for 24GB RAM @ 2666MHz that , so far, has shown no signs of any issues?

TRENDING THREADS