Question Mixing RAM of different brands

TeoTH

Commendable
May 3, 2019
Bought a new laptop recently, it comes with a DDR4 4GB 2666MHz RAM, SK hynix HMA851S6CJR6N - VK to be exact.
I'm thinking of adding another stick of RAM because 4GB is not quite enough for me, would a module from different brand works if they have the same rated speed?
(looking at a second hand Micron MTA4ATF51264HZ-2G6E1)

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
If the specs of the new RAM stick are the same as the old one then yes it should theoretically work. However it is possible that it doesn't work due to minor differences in any given RAM stick. The best most reliable option is to get a kit with two matched four GB sticks.

What laptop is it?

Might work, might not work.

I would want to ram compatibility has gotten better over the past few years, but there is no way to promise that two different ram sticks will play nice with each other if they aren't from the same kit.

Unless you are getting the Micron stick for crazy cheap you might be better off buying the same model/brand ram stick, those hynix sticks seem to go for like $16 on ebay.

TeoTH

Commendable
May 3, 2019
If the specs of the new RAM stick are the same as the old one then yes it should theoretically work. However it is possible that it doesn't work due to minor differences in any given RAM stick. The best most reliable option is to get a kit with two matched four GB sticks.

What laptop is it?

It's an Acer Nitro 5 AN-515-52-58JV.

TeoTH

Commendable
May 3, 2019
Might work, might not work.

I would want to ram compatibility has gotten better over the past few years, but there is no way to promise that two different ram sticks will play nice with each other if they aren't from the same kit.

Unless you are getting the Micron stick for crazy cheap you might be better off buying the same model/brand ram stick, those hynix sticks seem to go for like $16 on ebay.

Unfortunately I'm not from the US so the shipping fee negates the price.
A brand new stick ships from china will cost me about $24 exclude shipping, while the second hand module costs 17$ and can be deal face-to-face.
$7 might not seem like a lot, but exchange rate made it a huge difference.

TeoTH

Commendable
May 3, 2019
If it's a face to face deal then is there any way you could possibly test it in your computer before you buy it? If you can then that would at least tell you if it totally won't work.

I certainly could, but the guy isn't responding. Might end up buying a new one that is guaranteed to work.