Mixing RAM on Dual Channel - Same Brand, Timings, Voltage, but Different Size

unknown50862

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'm building a frankenstein build for a side project, from various left over parts. I have a microATX MOBO, with only 2 RAM 1033/1333 slots in dual channel. I have 3 DDR3 RAM sticks, 2x2GB and 1x4GB, all Corsair 1600MHz CL9 1.65V.

My initial problems is that my MOBO doesn't support 1600MHz, but my understanding is that this shouldn't matter much. My main question, is can I mixed 1x4GB and 1x2GB in the dual channels given that all other criteria are matching? Or would I just be better off going with 2x2GB?

Disclaimer: This MOBO has given me issues in the past, though could have been the result of faulty memory. Never did fully troubleshoot the problem.

Solution
Test each stick individually with memtest86.

Using two sticks not from the same kit is not guaranteed to work.
But, since you have all the sticks, you can try.

Your optimum result would be to use the 4gb corsair in one slot and one of the two 2gb sticks in the other.
You would have a total of 6gb with 4gb operating in dual channel mode and 2gb operating in single channel mode.
All ram would be running at 1333. The corsair stick has a lower default speed and should run at 1333.

If you have the option in the bios increasing the ram voltage will sometimes fix mismatch issues.

Verify that you solution is good with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
Test each stick individually with memtest86.

Using two sticks not from the same kit is not guaranteed to work.
But, since you have all the sticks, you can try.

Your optimum result would be to use the 4gb corsair in one slot and one of the two 2gb sticks in the other.
You would have a total of 6gb with 4gb operating in dual channel mode and 2gb operating in single channel mode.
All ram would be running at 1333. The corsair stick has a lower default speed and should run at 1333.

If you have the option in the bios increasing the ram voltage will sometimes fix mismatch issues.

Verify that you solution is good with memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Solution

unknown50862

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Left memtest86 running with the 6GB and got through 6 passes and no errors. Looks like it should be good. Thanks.