Apr 28, 2020
I recently purchased a PC which will have two Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz sticks - a total of 16GB.

However, I have an additional two Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz sticks, from my old PC.

I wish to combine the old RAM to the new RAM, totalling 32GB memory.

My concern is, will the old RAM affect the peak performance of my new ones? Is it worth doing?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ANSWERS. They were incredibly helpful. I can always upgrade and add more DDR4 sticks later if I want to do some 3D rendering in my future. Off to facebook market place to sell my old sticks!

Last edited:
Solution
No. Sadly not.

At the moment, there is no way to run DDR3 and DDR4 together.
Speedwise: yes, it's possible but still a hassle. Generationwise: not happening.

The only way to get 32GB is to buy the exact same RAM-modules you're allready using.
But 32GB is a BIG AMOUNT OF RAM. 16GB is plenty to run most games and that. 32GB is very overkill.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
No. Sadly not.

Speedwise: yes, it's possible but still a hassle. Generationwise: not happening.

The only way to get 32GB is to buy the exact same RAM-modules you're allready using.
But 32GB is a BIG AMOUNT OF RAM. 16GB is plenty to run most games and that. 32GB is very overkill.

Solution
I recently purchased a PC which will have two Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz sticks - a total of 16GB.

However, I have an additional two Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz sticks, from my old PC.

I wish to combine the old RAM to the new RAM, totalling 32GB memory.

My concern is, will the old RAM affect the peak performance of my new ones? Is it worth doing?

Thank you in advance.
No way Hose, can't mix DDR4 and DDR3, they don't even fit in same slots.

No. Sadly not.

Even buying the exact make and model doesn’t guarantee you won’t have issues. They only guaranteed way is to use a single kit.