Question Mixing RAM sizes (1+3) on H67 and Intel Sandy Bridge

-Jigsaw

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hello all,

I have come across some cheap second hand-ram modules I'd like to add to my machine.
Currently, I have 4x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G (DDR3 1333 CL9 2GB).
My motherboard is the Gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3 and my CPU the Intel i5-2400.

I was thinking of replacing one of the four 2GB modules for an 8GB one, for a total of 14GB.
The 8GB module I'm looking at is the KVR1333D3N9/8G. (though I understand same model code does not necessarily imply compatibility).

My question is, will I be able to use all of the 14GB, assuming all goes well, and should I expect a noticeable performance drop? Is it a problem to have a 2GB and a 8GB module on the same channel?
Basically, I do anticipate the answer of "you can try, can't say for sure", and I intend to, so my questioning is more along of the lines "Is there any reason why it certainly or most-likely WON'T work?".

Thanks

Hello all,

I have come across some cheap second hand-ram modules I'd like to add to my machine.
Currently, I have 4x Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G (DDR3 1333 CL9 2GB).
My motherboard is the Gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3 and my CPU the Intel i5-2400.

I was thinking of replacing one of the four 2GB modules for an 8GB one, for a total of 14GB.
The 8GB module I'm looking at is the KVR1333D3N9/8G. (though I understand same model code does not necessarily imply compatibility).

My question is, will I be able to use all of the 14GB, assuming all goes well, and should I expect a noticeable performance drop? Is it a problem to have a 2GB and a 8GB module on the same channel?
Basically, I do anticipate the answer of "you can try, can't say for sure", and I intend to, so my questioning is more along of the lines "Is there any reason why it certainly or most-likely WON'T work?".

Thanks
This will make the system run either in a hybrid dual channel mode that is slower than having 2-4 identical modules or it will run in single channel mode or it wont even run. You are better off running 2 of the same modules or mixing 2 different sizes in pairs so 2x2GB and 2x4GB for 12GB as an example.

Edit - Also, if it runs in hybrid mode, that 8GB module will only have 2GB used so it's still the same amount you had before.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This will make the system run either in a hybrid dual channel mode that is slower than having 2-4 identical modules or it will run in single channel mode or it wont even run. You are better off running 2 of the same modules or mixing 2 differenent sizes in pairs so 2x2GB and 2x4GB for 12GB as an example.

Edit - Also, if it runs in hybrid mode, that 8GB module will only have 2GB used so it's still the same amount you had before.
OP's motherboard doesn't have a hybrid mode though?