[SOLVED] Mixing ram Speed and Capacity on dual channel

Oct 8, 2020
Currently I have 2*Trident Z RGB 8GB DDR4-3000MHz CL16-18-18-38 on my Gigabyte z170X ud5 with 6700K.
I can OC my ram and it works without any problem.
Planning to upgrade my ram and the Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4-3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 price is so cheap.

Will I face any problem if I install 2x8GB 3000MHz on 2 slots as dual channel config and 2x16GB 3200Mhz on other 2 slots?

Last edited:
Solution
Mixing and matching RAM might be problematic at times. The system might work fine with the added modules or might not even POST at all due to compatibility issues between the sticks. Another possible issue would be that you won't be able to run all modules at their max possible frequency(being 3000 MHz in your case)... you might need to dial the frequency back a bit
Even if you add modules of the same model issues might occur.

If you're set on buying that additional 2x8 kit, make sure you're able to return it if needed. Make sure that you've rigorously tested the modules together before settling on the purchase.
Also, because the frequencies are different, all modules will run at the lowest speed(3000 MHz).
You'll be running in dual...
Mixing and matching RAM might be problematic at times. The system might work fine with the added modules or might not even POST at all due to compatibility issues between the sticks. Another possible issue would be that you won't be able to run all modules at their max possible frequency(being 3000 MHz in your case)... you might need to dial the frequency back a bit

If you're set on buying that additional 2x8 kit, make sure you're able to return it if needed. Make sure that you've rigorously tested the modules together before settling on the purchase.
Also, because the frequencies are different, all modules will run at the lowest speed(3000 MHz).
You'll be running in dual channel still even with the added kit (if there are no compatibility issues between the modules).

Reactions: darkprince00017
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
The key document is the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Refer to the User Guide/Manual regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations.

The User Guide/Manual will likely refer you to the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more information such as the applicable RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Read all the notes and fine print.

Oct 8, 2020

You'll be running in dual channel still even with the added kit (if there are no compatibility issues between the modules).

I am actually planning to buy 2x16 kits and there's no return policy :(
And thats why I am here!

I also think that I can not go beyond 3000Mhz with this mixed setup but if it runs okay that will do for now.

Oct 8, 2020
The key document is the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Refer to the User Guide/Manual regarding supported RAM and RAM configurations.

The User Guide/Manual will likely refer you to the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more information such as the applicable RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Read all the notes and fine print.

I never checked my mobo's RAM QVL before.
My current ram modules are not listed there but I am still using them 🙄
I think that document is too old.