[SOLVED] Mixing RAM speeds.

Apr 11, 2020
Hello,
I am asking this for a mate. We have decided to mix his memory to upgrade him from 8gb of DDR3 Ram to 16gb.
The trouble is one of the sticks is 1333mhz and the other is 1600mhz, the board (ASUS) only seems to want to utilize the 1600mhz HyperX even though I have set the DRAM Frequency to 1333mhz. However the board still detects the samsung stick.
I am at a loss because i am currently mixing memory speeds in my machine with no issues and I cannot figure out the problem with my friends machine.

I have attached a screenshot

https://ibb.co/MfF0MBP

Any help or guidance is much appreciated :)

Solution
Hello,
I am asking this for a mate. We have decided to mix his memory to upgrade him from 8gb of DDR3 Ram to 16gb.
The trouble is one of the sticks is 1333mhz and the other is 1600mhz, the board (ASUS) only seems to want to utilize the 1600mhz HyperX even though I have set the DRAM Frequency to 1333mhz. However the board still detects the samsung stick.
I am at a loss because i am currently mixing memory speeds in my machine with no issues and I cannot figure out the problem with my friends machine.

Do the modules work on their own individually?
Have you tried the 1333 stick and the 1600 separately?

Mixing and matching RAM...
Hello,

Mixing and matching RAM can lead to incompatibilities... that's maybe the issue here. Even though they have different speeds, they'll both run at the frequency of the slowest module... the bigger issue might be the pairing of 2 different modules here(not from the same kit).

Solution

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019

Mixing and matching RAM can lead to incompatibilities... that's maybe the issue here. Even though they have different speeds, they'll both run at the frequency of the slowest module... the bigger issue might be the pairing of 2 different modules here(not from the same kit).
would I be able to run 2 corsair vengeance (2x4) at 2400mhz and 2 corsair vengeance (2x4) at 3000mhz ?

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
No all RAM sticks will run at the same speed. So in your example above all RAM will run at 2400MHz. So yes you can use different RAM speeds together but it will slow down the faster RAM sticks to the speed of the slowest stick.

Reactions: OrdJk