[SOLVED] mixing ram voltages ?

jake88

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
hi
i have a rog strix z390 gaming MB and im trying to use 4 sticks of ram togther, 2x2packs.
2 x 8gb T-FORCE nighthawk ddr4 3200mhz at 1.35v
2x 16gb corsair vengeance pro 2666mhz 1.20v
they both work fine when i use just 2 of them but when i mix them i get a DRAM yellow light and no display.
can i mix voltages or is this the problem ?ive tried clearing the bios/cmos and doesnt work.
if mixing voltages is the issue can someone tell me how to set the bios so all 4 cards run the same volt?

Solution
Can mix different voltages, just 1.35v ram would run at 1.2 at whichever speed the board sets them to automatically, probably 2133.

Try manually set ram speed to 2666, 1.35v and command rate 2T. It's safe for DDR4 1.2v to run at 1.35v. Don't expect 2666 ram to run at 3200, set it so it matches the slowest pair. Configure ram settings with a working set then add the other afterwards.

Try each pair in alternating slots, 16gb 8gb 16gb 8gb or vice versa.

Mixing ram is a crapshoot, there is a chance they won't work together at all.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can mix different voltages, just 1.35v ram would run at 1.2 at whichever speed the board sets them to automatically, probably 2133.

Try manually set ram speed to 2666, 1.35v and command rate 2T. It's safe for DDR4 1.2v to run at 1.35v. Don't expect 2666 ram to run at 3200, set it so it matches the slowest pair. Configure ram settings with a working set then add the other afterwards.

Try each pair in alternating slots, 16gb 8gb 16gb 8gb or vice versa.

Mixing ram is a crapshoot, there is a chance they won't work together at all.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Mixing RAM is problematic and generally not recommended.

The guiding document is the User Guide/Manual for your Z390 Gaming Motherboard. (Board and Version.)

The User Manual should list the supported RAM modules and the supported installation configurations.

Most likely the User Manual will refer you back to the motherboard's manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information and the RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Details matter so pay attention to all notes and fine print.

Oct 11, 2020
H
Problem solved! my ram slot pairs were going left to right not right to left.
I thought it should ...a1 b1 a2 B2 but instead was backwards.
Hey dude nice to hear that.
If u can tell me more that happen to ur 1.20v ram did it go auto to 1.35v or u set it manualy or u just turn on the xmp and everything works fine. Thanks