Question Mixing RAM with different tRFC and tRAS

Aug 27, 2020
I have single 2400 mhz DDR4 8GB kingston manufactured kit installed in my msi laptop. I want to upgrade my ram to dual channel 16GB.

So right now my only option is to get 8GB single kit kingston ram considering prices.

So I have two option. First is to get single 8GB kingston kit but compared cpu-z and kingstons data sheet, my already installed RAM tRFC is 420 clocks and tRAS 39 clock, while the one I would like to purchase 350 tRFC and 32 tRAS. (both are 2400 mhz and cl17)

And second option is to buy 8GB single kit twice for dual channel setup. But it costs double obviously and its not a bundled kit.

I could get single already and buy the second one if things not work as expected but I dont want to disassemble my motherboard twice.

What you guys think I should do.

RealBeast

Titan
The only way that you will know for sure that the upgrade will work is to buy a 16GB (2x8GB) kit.

If you do buy a single 8GB you would have to run both sticks at the slowest timings of either to possibility get stability, as they must be the same, but many laptops don't give you that much control over the memory settings.

What MSI model laptop?

Aug 27, 2020
The only way that you will know for sure that the upgrade will work is to buy a 16GB (2x8GB) kit.

If you do buy a single 8GB you would have to run both sticks at the slowest timings of either to possibility get stability, as they must be the same, but many laptops don't give you that much control over the memory settings.

What MSI model laptop?

Unfortunately there isnt any good bundled kit option in market for me. Almost all notebook kits available as single kit, I dont know why.

its gs63

Aug 27, 2020
There are several GS63 models, but crucial.com has kits of 2x8GB for each that I looked at. I use a lot of their laptop memory in repair work.

msi ship their models with single kingston kit to my country, at least thats what I've seen so far. Crucial kits are available too but not available as dual kit.
Do you think its worth to try mixing with a kit? If it fails I could buy another same model to complete 16 gb.

RealBeast

Titan
msi ship their models with single kingston kit to my country, at least thats what I've seen so far. Crucial kits are available too but not available as dual kit.
Do you think its worth to try mixing with a kit? If it fails I could buy another same model to complete 16 gb.
The only way that you will know is to try. Do you have access to Amazon or another major online retailer?

TRENDING THREADS