Mixing Ram with same specs

Ajith M M

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I have a
Corsair DDR3 4GB Desktop RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9)
1333 MHz, 4GB DDR3, CL 9-9-9-24, 1.5 V

I need to upgrade my PC to 8GB Ram
so i searched for this ram and its not available at
my location...and in some sites its way too costly.

So iam planning to buy a Kingston or G-skill or Transcend
Ram with the same exact spec as my corsair ram.
Will this cause any problems...Please suggest

My other specs
2nd gen Intel core i5 2310 2.9-3.1 GHz Quadcore
Intel DH67BL Mobo (DDR3 1333 Mhz with 4 slots dual channel)
Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
500 GB HDD
128 GB SSD
Corsair VS450 PSU

kanewolf

Titan
It is always a guess. You are doing the correct thing by getting the exact same specs. BUT there is no way to predict if it will cooperate. This is why vendors sell "matched" sets of RAM. The vendor is guaranteeing that the parts work together.

Ajith M M

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

My only option is this or i should by the same corsair ram for 25 $ more, about 55 $ for 4GB Ram
If i go for same spec but different manufacturer then its only 31 $

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Generally I've found that if the RAM is going to be run at default minimum specs (1333mhz) and not XMP anything, it should work ok as long as your timings are all matched as well. You are still taking somewhat of a chance, but it's a pretty slight one.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
If the timing and speed are matched then its as close as you can get it. I dont think the brand matters as I have mixed different brands before. IT will work, how smooth it will be is another thing, it may be fine or you may see errors or crashes creeping up as a result. If this unpredictability bothers you then maybe the extra $20+ is worth the piece of mind. Another option is to see what 8GB sets go for. you might get one cheaper then the 4GB upgrade. I have seen that happen before.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Try looking through the forums, there's thread after thread of folks mixing DRAM, often the same exact models of DRAM and them not working

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
True as that may be, I have first hand experience in dozens of units where I used mixed sticks and for the most part I had few complications. I agree its unpredictable and its a risk but it would be inaccurate to say it flat out wont work.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I've tried mixing hundreds of times, and it's a crapshoot, maybe yes, maybe no - take a look at my article I referenced. And I didn't say it won't work - I brought this up as you specifically said " IT will work". With some combos a rig won't even boot