Mixing SATA and IDE Hard Drives

Hi all,

I have an ASUS P4C800 MB with an Intel 3.2g processor. When I upgraded my
system I had a 120g Western Digital HD (7200RPM) so I did not put in a new
drive.

I'm doing more and more video editing and would like to add a second hard
drive. I know I can buy the exact same drive and add it. But could I get a
120g SATA drive and have the two of them co-exist?

Thanks for any help here

GKenney wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an ASUS P4C800 MB with an Intel 3.2g processor. When I
> upgraded my system I had a 120g Western Digital HD (7200RPM) so I did
> not put in a new drive.
>
> I'm doing more and more video editing and would like to add a second
> hard drive. I know I can buy the exact same drive and add it. But
> could I get a 120g SATA drive and have the two of them co-exist?

Yes, you can easily add a 120GB SATA hard drive. If RAID is of interest to
you, I believe the Deluxe model supports using both IDE and SATA drives in
the same array.

Yes.

--
DaveW

"GKenney" <wgkenney@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have an ASUS P4C800 MB with an Intel 3.2g processor. When I upgraded my
> system I had a 120g Western Digital HD (7200RPM) so I did not put in a new
> drive.
>
> I'm doing more and more video editing and would like to add a second hard
> drive. I know I can buy the exact same drive and add it. But could I get
> 120g SATA drive and have the two of them co-exist?
>
> Thanks for any help here

Not only just 'Yes' but 'even better'.
If you have the two drives on different interfaces, then you should notice
better performance with your video editing if you use one drive for the
'source' (input file) and the other for the 'destination' (output file).
Currently, you'll have had both files on the same drive, so the drive heads
will have been spending time skipping around from one file to the next.
BTW: It's worth while ensuring that your PC has plenty of memory so that it
can handle the op system, video application, and large data files without
having to keep hitting the swap file (paging to disk) - that takes time too.
Kevin.