Question Mixing Single Rank and Dual Rank Memory

Jul 12, 2019
Good day folks,

I currently have only 8GBs of DDR4 RAM installed on my PC, and now I'm looking to upgrade that. My current RAM-Stick is a Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Dual Rank (BLS8G4D26BFSE). Looking online though, I only found a 16GB stick with Dual Rank, and 1 or 2 8GB Single Rank options for sale. AFAIK I can't mix the 8GB and 16GB stick, but what about 8GB Dual + 8GB Single Rank. I looked thru the internet already, but I found quite conflicting answers, so I figured I'd ask here. Can I mix those 2 types of RAM? Are there any risks?

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Mainboard and an i5 8600k (and a GTX1050Ti but I guess that doesn't matter at all.)

Thanks for you help already!

Are you referring to dual 'rank' or dual 'channel'? They are two totally different things.

Memory rank refers to the physical row(s) of chips on the PCB.
Memory channel refers to the number of connections between memory and memory controller.

Assuming you are referring to memory rank, @Phaaze88's answer stands.
If you are referring to dual channel, note that there is no special difference between memory sold in single, dual, triple, or quad stick 'kits' except for the fact that those sticks are guaranteed, by the manufacturer, to work together at their rated speed on a compatible motherboard.

Reactions: Phaaze88