[SOLVED] Mixing stock cpu paste with aftermarket paste

Apr 29, 2020
So, PC builing noob here.
I had gotten som coolermaster paste from a friend, and happily applied it to my ryzen 5 3600 cpu. I then installed my stock cooler, and have now realized that I had forgotten to remove the stock paste.

I just got everything set up, and it would suck to tear it down again. So, does it matter that I accidently mixed them?

Apr 29, 2020
As long as you can get it ALL off, might not need alcohol.
Preferable, though.
A follow up question though:
Wouldn't excess thermal paste be squeezed out the sides of the cpu? I can some overflow on one side of the chip.

So i wonder, how is it possible to add to much? Logically i would assume the excess would be squeezed of the side of the chip.

USAFRet

Titan
A follow up question though:
Wouldn't excess thermal paste be squeezed out the sides of the cpu? I can some overflow on one side of the chip.

So i wonder, how is it possible to add to much? Logically i would assume the excess would be squeezed of the side of the chip.
Not necessarily.
That paste is there to only fill in and smooth out the slight imperfections in the two surfaces. It needs to be THIN.

Excess does not all get squeezed out.

And if you already see overflow from not even running it...there is too much.

Reactions: supergummi
Apr 29, 2020
Not necessarily.
That paste is there to only fill in and smooth out the slight imperfections in the two surfaces. It needs to be THIN.

Excess does not all get squeezed out.

And if you already see overflow from not even running it...there is too much.
Thanks alot mate, you saved my lazy ass from myself.