Mixing the SAME ram with different sizes on x99 chipset

jlw_4049

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I have an Evga Micro 2 with an i7 6800k processor. I built it on a budget so at the time I only put 8gb of RAM, two sticks of Ballistix Sport 4gb (BLS4G4D240FSA)

Now I'm wanting a bit more.

Can I purchase a single stick of the same model, speeds, timing, etc, but 8gb in 1 stick (BLS8G4D240FSA) Will it work? I would like to get 1 stick of 8gb so later I can add 1 more 8gb stick in by itself beside that, and essentially have 24gb of ram total. Which should be more then enough for my home server.

If the above don't work, would you recommend me just buying a second 4+4gb kit, same kit?

Thanks for the response. I read threads and I know that matching ram is finicky, but with the x99/ddr4 having 4 memory controllers etc, I wasn't sure if this has been improved on.

I would like to ultimately maximize my ram without getting rid of the two 4gb sticks I have already bought.

Solution
I am not convinced that 4 channel operation is as important as how much total ram you have.
Certainly there may be some apps that are sensitive but I do not know what they are.
I do not think I would go the 4 x 4gb route.

If you buy a 2 x 16gb kit, you know you are going to have at least 16gb, and are somewhat likely to have 24gb.

If budget is not really a problem, go the 4 x 8gb route for the best of both worlds.
More than 24gb, and full 4 channel operation.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
There is no guarantee, the risk may be low that they will not work together but it can happen.

With that being said - I have successfully mixed and matched RAM from different manufacturers and got them to work together most of the time.

I would recommend new matched pair set.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Mixing and matching is somewhat of a gamble. You increase you chances when using the same speed and timings (and by setting them in the bios manually). Your chances are further increased by using the same product, just different sizes. I am doing it right now with a set of 2x4GB and 2x8GB on z97. Same product line just different size kits.

There is no one way to do this.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when 4 sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
It is safer to get what you need in one kit.
But, it is a bit more expensive because of the added matching of all the sticks to insure compatibility.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

My suggestion is to buy a kit with the max amount of ram that you might ever want.
That is likely a 4 x 8gb kit.
Keep the old ram as a backup spare or sell it.

jlw_4049

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Considering it's a server PC that runs 24/7 I don't want any performance hitches. Think I would be good with 16gb or should I shoot for the 32gb. It generally hosts game servers and runs plex.

I suggest you buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current ram.
If it works with the existing 8gb of ram, well and good; you have 24gb to work with.
Use memtest86+ to test the ram.
You should be able to do a couple of full passes with NO errors.
In the event that you have trouble booting, go into the bios and increase the ram voltage a touch.

jlw_4049

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

If you are confident that I can get a pack of 2x16gb ram and put it in, I would much rather do that. Save me some money and I really don't need more then 24gb ram at all.

Do you think I would be fine buying the 16gb kit for the other two channels. Or ultimately would you just recommend me getting a 4x4gb kit or 4x8gb kit.

I am not convinced that 4 channel operation is as important as how much total ram you have.
Certainly there may be some apps that are sensitive but I do not know what they are.
I do not think I would go the 4 x 4gb route.

If you buy a 2 x 16gb kit, you know you are going to have at least 16gb, and are somewhat likely to have 24gb.

If budget is not really a problem, go the 4 x 8gb route for the best of both worlds.
More than 24gb, and full 4 channel operation.

Solution

jlw_4049

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

Okay I'll consider the 2x16gb or i'll go for the full 8x8gb. Do you think I would need more then 16gb for my server?

jlw_4049

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I wanted to update here. I bought the two 8 gb sticks' (16 gb kit) Put it in with the two 4gb kits I already had. Set XMP profile. Did memtest86 for the full 4 passes, everything works flawlessly. Sitting pretty at 24gb of ram.