Mixing two different R.A.M sticks and need some advice.

MrMaliwop

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
I just ordered this R.A.M Set, to upgrade my computer which currently has only 4Gb of memory (4 x 1GB). My question is would it be fine if I mix two of the R.A.M sticks in my system which are currently this model, with the ones I just ordered, in order to boost my system to 10Gb of R.A.M? Or am I better removing all the old sticks and just using the new sticks that I ordered?

My computer's Mother Board is a nForce4 SLI Intel Edition model number 0GC375. I will be getting a matching set of sticks in the future when money is a little less tight, until then I would like to get my system to at least 8Gb with the new sticks, but adding two of the old sticks to the mix would be better, if there are no issues.

As i said the first time, i don't think it would be worthwhile ....

1) Mixing and matching RAM brands is always a challenge .... Crucial DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), Cas Latency 5 versus OCZ DDR2 667 (PC2 5400), Cas Latency 4 .... even among same brands, they often switch the modules used. The more unlike they are (Modules, size, CAS, etc) , the more difficult it is

2) The more slots ya fill, the more difficult it is to maintain stability.

3) is this your MoBo ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension-XPS-600-Desktop-NVIDIA-nForce4-SLI-Motherboard-UH741-GC375-0GC375-/390640439625?nma=true&si=HnefUpqwWgUBgnlvrqMr3C%252Buess%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Memory capacities: 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2 GB non-ECC

Most ya can use is 2GB modules in 4 x 2GB config

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

That's what I was thinking when I responded and I saw the the link (prob already had been fixed showing the OCZ 1 GB sticks)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Again that's what I said, I must have seen it after it was fixed - I recognized the sticks, just did an upgrade to a P45 that had the same OCZ 1GB sticks in it, and thankfully it was a P45 so could put 4GB sticks in, unlike his SLI mobo that is limited to 2GB sticks (x4)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
For 8GB get 1 set, a single package of 4x2GB, mixing sets of DRAM even the same exact model can be problematic, look through the forums - it's full of people getting 2 or more packages or listening to others say say "Yeah, no problem, just add more sticks'....then they come here looking for help and asking why the sticks aren't working - DRAM is packaed in sets after being tested to ensure all sticks in the package work together, and it's why DRAM manufacturers ONLY guarantee by the single packaged set - even mobo makers will tell you not to mix packages of DRAM

MrMaliwop

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
So after looking around some more the only R.A.M I could find that meets all the the requirements are these, but I'm not sure they look kind of sketchy. Anybody here that can vouch for this set of R.A.M?

If you have the opportunity and budget, buying all your RAM from the getgo is the best idea. If your original budget is restricted or you just underestimated your apps requirements, its is certainly possible to add more.

1. The more slots you fill the greater load placed on your memory controller and you may have to reduce timings and / or speed to obtain stability.

2. Packaged sets are "guaranteed" to work. Though not guaranteed, like factory overclocked and guaranteed GFX cards, you can usually overclock a stock card to factory overclocked levels, but it's not guaranteed. Many of these factory OC'd PCBs are oft not the same (bigger VRMS usually) as the reference PCBs so they do behave differently. Other times the GFX card manufacturer switches from say Samsung or Hynix memory to Elipda and the Elpida based cards won't overclock as well cutting into your SLI / OC performance..

Same with RAM..... with some manufacturer's lines (i.e. Mushkin Redline) you can be pretty confident that the manufacturer hasn't pulled a switcherroo on you. For example.... I just got a new set of Mushkin 2400s and they are based upon the same Hynix memory modules that were in the ones I bought a year ago. On the other hand, the Corsair Vengeance 2400s stopped using Hynix after version 4.51. Mixing two 2 x 8GB sets or the Redlines, I'd be pretty confident they'd work, subject tot he limitations of Item 1 above. Mixing two sets of Corsair's....one pre 4.51 and one after, I'd be far less confident.

3. To show ya how odd and "mixed results" this can be, I was once asked to upgrade two machines that RAM was pretty scarce for. One had two Corsair sticks, one had two Mushkins .... with neither company offering anything of the same spec at that time, I found some GSkills that were a speed and timings match. After advising each user that this might not work, each bought a packaged set of 2 Gskills.

-Putting 2 GSkills in with the 2 Corsairs..... no go.
-Putting 2 GSkills in with the 2 Mushkins..... no go.

To troubleshoot, I put the 4 Gskills in together and they worked .... even maintained speed and timings so figured it just wasn't going to work with mixed manufacturers. But then I put the Mushkins in with the Corsairs and they worked together .... everybody was happy. We got lucky; it won't always work.

So in your case, you are limited to 2 GB per slot..... a set of 2 x 4GB is therefore not an option. 4 x 2Gb is your only real choice to get above your current 4 GB.....don't really see an advantage to the move to 2 x 2GB . Pretty much all I found was Dell RAM meetings these specifications but ECC Types

MrMaliwop

Reputable
Jun 2, 2014
So can anyone recommend me a set of sticks that will meet my requirements? Which are as follows if I'm not mistaken.

8GB (4X2GB) PC2-5300 DDR2-667/533 SDRAM NON-ECC UnBuffered 240pin DIMM Desktop Memory

Because the only ones I have found so far are these.

Or getting two sets of Crucial or four of the Motherboard's Recommended set of sticks, and hoping for the best.

I am considering the second option with the Crucials since all of the times I have ordered from them I have never really had any issues, but if anyone has any alternatives set of sticks then I'm all ears.