[SOLVED] Mixing VLANs with managed switches

slavoi

Prominent
Nov 3, 2019
Hello everyone :)

In my house on the first floor, I have internet from one supplier and TV from different one. I have 1 CAT6 cable running from the 1st floor to the second, but I want both TV and net (LAN) on the second floor. Is it possible to run them both on 1 cable via managed switch on the first floor to mix them and second managed switch on the second floor to distribute them again?

Thank you :)

Solution
You could IF the tv was some kind of streaming service say like netflix or a similar function. Most tv comes in over coax cable and is more of a broadcast thing. All the programs are all being sent to all devices and the device picks out what it wants and ignores the rest. This is very very different than the way say your computer watches video on the internet. I guess if your tv is already on ethernet it should work to use vlans an run a tagged connection between the 2 switches. If the tv in on coax then it won't work.

What would work is the reverse. If you had a coax cable between the 2 floors you could let the tv run and in most cases you can convert the ethernet with a deivce called MOCA on both ends. If you...
You could IF the tv was some kind of streaming service say like netflix or a similar function. Most tv comes in over coax cable and is more of a broadcast thing. All the programs are all being sent to all devices and the device picks out what it wants and ignores the rest. This is very very different than the way say your computer watches video on the internet. I guess if your tv is already on ethernet it should work to use vlans an run a tagged connection between the 2 switches. If the tv in on coax then it won't work.

What would work is the reverse. If you had a coax cable between the 2 floors you could let the tv run and in most cases you can convert the ethernet with a deivce called MOCA on both ends. If you consider that method be a little careful to check that your tv provider does not overlap the MoCA. For example directtv and moca can not share a cable. Most normal tv from the local cable company can though.

Solution