Jun 17, 2019
Hi guys, I just got a coolermaster ML120L for my pc because my stock intel cooler was developing an annoying rattling noise. I installed everything following the directions but I am running into trouble plugging in the pump. My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-z97x-ud3h-bk) has fan headers labeled CPU-fan, Cpu-opt, and SYS_FAN. I originally had the pump plugged into CPU_Fan and the radiator fan plugged into CPU_OPt. Started my pc up and on idle, my temps were around 90-100C! Bios shows each the pump and the fan at speeds around 2000 rpm. Then I switched where the pump and fan were plugged in and nothing changed. The radiator fan is getting power and all rgbs are working, so I narrowed the problem down to the pump not getting power.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 17, 2019
Make sure the pump (fan) is set to 100% in bios. It isn't uncommon for pump fans to die in AIOS, however, this is usually after years of use.

Do you feel both sides of the tubes getting hot? If so, the pump is now functioning.

Thanks for the reply. I did this and temps have lowered to around 70C. Still too hot I think. I feel no heat from either of the tubes.

Jun 17, 2019
70c is hot but much more reasonable. Did you make sure to apply thermal paste?

What are your temps under load? What program are you using to monitor temperatures?

I am using Core Temp 1.14 to watch my temps. I definitely applied thermal paste and it is mounted on there properly. Just switched the radiator fan from sys_fan to cpu_opt and temps went back up to 90C on start but then slowly fell to 70C at a load of about 10%. Putting the radiator fan back into sys_fan so I can play a game and see temps under full load.

Edit**
Started up rocket league, temps instantly jump to 100. Pc starts to throttle and then hard crashes. Definitely not good.

Jun 17, 2019
Make sure the pump (fan) is set to 100% in bios. It isn't uncommon for pump fans to die in AIOS, however, this is usually after years of use.

Do you feel both sides of the tubes getting hot? If so, the pump is not functioning.

SOLVED. I put the pump into SYS_FAN1 and turned it up to 100% in bios. Cpu now idling at 30C and tops out at about 50C under 100% load. Thank you!!!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This may or may not be pump failure, might be nothing but an air bubble trapped in the pump.

Corsair and most other major AIO brands specify the pump on cpu_fan and the fan on anything else. This is done for 2 reasons. 1) the pump is 3pin normally, not 4pin PWM. The cpu_fan header is dedicated pwm, so is a constant 12v, no DC control. A 3pin applied there is not controllable at all, will always run full 12v speeds, no matter what bios setting. 2) the cpu loves to protect itself, and in the case of cpu_fan reading 0rpm, will shutdown or refuse to boot. Basically, if the pump fails, no Bueno.
However, that leaves little or no fan control, it's usually left upto a sys_fan header, which can have funky results. Generally most ppl will cpu_fan the fan and cpu_opt/pump/aux the pump. This'll give cpu temp sensor control of the cpu fan.

If it is a bubble, start the pc. Do nothing else. Tilt the pc until the radiator and hoses are above the pump, and hold it there. If temps drop, it was a bubble caused by transit. If temps remain, you have 2 possible causes. Pump failure or software failure.

Reactions: Nimmymcswizz