MLC SSDs to Challenge Faster SLC Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Anything that will bring the price down and performance up for these drives is a good thing in my eyes. Now lets see if what they are saying has any real world merit.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
"with native command queuing (NCQ)." How can it have NCQ when that is a feature made specifically for old school hdds that have moving parts.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I thought that wear leveling technology was common in previous drives. The drawbacks of not having it are well known, as the write/erase cycles in MLC drives are limited to around 100k. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure the intel controller has this already, and I would be surprised at any controller that didn't.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]"with native command queuing (NCQ)." How can it have NCQ when that is a feature made specifically for old school hdds that have moving parts.[/citation]
1) Look up NCQ 2) Study it's meaning 3) Then comment.

judeh101

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
NCQ means doing things in order to make it operate more efficiently.
but however, this may slow down hard dives, I dunno about SSDs.

judeh101

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I am still waiting for these SSDs to cost $70 for 500 GB.[/citation]
I agree with falchard

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
BE O/s BEOS, Batch Enhanced O/S. One "Native" command is BEEP. Whoaboi, Complex, when beeptime arrives, you canmake it longer, higher, repeateded multi beeping & even echo, You Choose from code libary, YOU MAKE QUE OF INSTRUCTIONS. In NCQ, Memorysystem Takes Over For You, Forward Slash / is Optional in Script-file BEEP. This was trouble with Batch Enhanced, You or your program Had To Write something, Sometimes or default, while software might NOT Be Coded Correctly in first place or Fragmentation. NCQ is ALL Machine.oPERATOR hAS no IDEA iF tHERE aRE even aNY /, Its Procol Demands NCQ RUN Correctly, ahso, SATA 6Gb/s should double speed OF ABOVE UNIT. It'll just be nice if it works, odds are VERY STRONGLY on NCQ. Other Cueing Protocols seldom are useful,Even if Primary; are disordered & disarraryed at ALL Times, while NCQ Just Keeps Hammering.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.

G

Well,now we can be happy if the prices for 250GB SSD's with these speeds as mentioned above will arrive under $500!

I'd probably purchase one, once the price gets under $1 per GB; mostly for it's powersaving feats for my notebook.

about NCQ, it'll be interesting to see how it will work on a SSD indeed; since it basically is a protocol to read the data closest or nearest to the read arm on the HD.
SSD's mean no moving parts, so does it mean that this SSD is able to read multiple sectors at once? Hope tom's will follow up on the details!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]"with native command queuing (NCQ)." How can it have NCQ when that is a feature made specifically for old school hdds that have moving parts.[/citation]
NCQ is also used in newer solid-state drives where the drive encounters latency on the host, rather than the other way around. For example, Intel's X25-E Extreme solid-state drive uses NCQ to ensure that the drive has commands to process while the host system is busy processing CPU tasks.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]baov[/nom]Okay, in what way is this article about "MLC SSDs to Challenge Faster SLC Drives"?[/citation]
hey, you know man... the challenge. It's the great challenge...

Status
Not open for further replies.