Question "MMC could not create the snap-in" on Device Manager

alexreynolds123

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
It gives me the ID {74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}

I made the stupid mistake of messing around with the registry despite not knowing what i was doing, and I think I've ended up with some problem with newdev.dll. I have a full back-up of my registry, but I've learnt that restoring a full back-up isn't possible. I am severely out of my depth and would appreciate any help!

alexreynolds123

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
"I have a full back-up of my registry, but I've learnt that restoring a full back-up isn't possible" This is simply not true. Why do you think this is not possible?
I'm just repeating what I've read online, my mistake. I guess I should rephrase the problem, I don't know how to perform a full registry back up.

I got the info from this vid, and I received the same error as they did. In that vid they mention taking the individual keys you need from the master back-up, but they don't explain how to go about actually backing them up. As I said, I'm quite out of my depth here so I'd be very grateful if you could lend me a hand. Thanks!

I'm just repeating what I've read online, my mistake. I guess I should rephrase the problem, I don't know how to perform a full registry back up.

I got the info from this vid, and I received the same error as they did. In that vid they mention taking the individual keys you need from the master back-up, but they don't explain how to go about actually backing them up. As I said, I'm quite out of my depth here so I'd be very grateful if you could lend me a hand. Thanks!
Windows 10 used to keep a backup of the Registry, but starting about 4 months ago that ended with ver 1809. What you need to do in the future is make your own registry backup (via Export from the Registry) prior to making any changes. Do you think you can remember what changes you made, so they can be undone?

alexreynolds123

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
I'm on version 1607 at the moment because this exact problem has prevent me from updating. Also I did export my own back-up prior to editing it, that is the back-up I'm referring to in my OP. Unfortunately no, I made the changes a long time ago and don't remember :( Does this mean its irreparable?

Thanks for the responses!

alexreynolds123

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
So the back-up I exported when I made those edits was a full registry back-up. When I follow your instructions with the full registry back-up I receive this error. That video mentioned taking individual entries from the master back-up but I don't know how to import them. Do i create a new .reg script and put the individual entries into that file? Also, to further complicate things because I don't know which entries I edited, I wouldn't even know which files to restore. I searched my registry back-up for the entry that shows in the Device Manager error ({74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}) and it threw up 30 results. Would backing up these 30 do the trick? As I'm said I'm out of my depth, so I'm just guessing here. Any ideas?
Cheers

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Do you have System Protection enabled?

If so, why not do a System Restore from a restore point that predates your messing around with the registry? That's pretty much the entire reason for being for System Protection.

I have often found that certain Restore Points will not work, but then I keep working backward through those available from the most recent to the oldest. Typically one will. Also, when you go into System Restore only the most recent Restore Point will be shown unless you activate the link to show more Restore Points.

And, I echo @USAFRet's question. You are running a long, long out of support Version of Windows 10, which is not a good thing. Running any unsupported OS, at least as a daily driver where the machine interacts with cyberspace, is a very bad idea.

The first thing I'd do if you can get a Restore Point to take is:
Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

There are ways to get around the registry backup errors, but I'm thinking a Reset would probably work better. Also as britechguy says this is what System Restore is made for. Unfortunately, System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10. Unless you enabled System Restore and configured it, while it may look like you have restore points, they are only dates when a Restore point would have been created if System Restore was enabled. I also have not had good luck getting System Restore to work in Windows 10, but if you've got it try to use it.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
As often as people say "System Restore is disabled by default in Windows 10" that has not been my experience in the vast majority of systems I've configured straight out of the box.

Mind you, it has been for some, which I've never understood, either. And whatever the "out of the box" state was seems to return at Feature Update time. I warn clients to check the state of System Restore after every Feature Update. Even though it is far from reliable, and all restore points are wiped by a Feature Update, when it works it can be a very handy way to reverse simple bone-headed mistakes among other things.

In the end, though, one of the basic tasks of being a computer owner is having an external backup drive and a protocol for taking full system image backups, and user data only backups, on a regular cycle as well as on-demand if you do an unusually large amount of work (e.g. installing a ton of software [do another full system image backup] or creating a bunch of Word documents in a few days while working on a project that you would not like to have to re-create).

Doing the above is your best and cheapest insurance against all sorts of catastrophic or semi-catastrophic failures.

alexreynolds123

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
I'm on an outdated version of Windows because whenever I try to perform a system reset I'm met with error messages, which I assume are a product of my registry edits. I would give the exact error message but it waits until the progress bar is full to give the error, so it would take a while. I could do that if necessary? And unfortunately I don't have any options for a system restore.

Is a clean install of win10 the answer here? All the stuff I have on my hard-drive is expendable so I don't mind a clean slate

Well the that's the difference between me working on about 100 computers and you thousands. Still, I've always found System Restore disabled with Windows 10 and then of course there is infamous regback folder that is not only empty, it deletes and reg backup you put in there. I try not to be judgemental and just help folks who can be there own worst enemy when it comes to computers and the internet.

I'm on an outdated version of Windows because whenever I try to perform a system reset I'm met with error messages, which I assume are a product of my registry edits. I would give the exact error message but it waits until the progress bar is full to give the error, so it would take a while. I could do that if necessary? And unfortunately I don't have any options for a system restore.

Is a clean install of win10 the answer here? All the stuff I have on my hard-drive is expendable so I don't mind a clean slate
Oh absolutely! https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

USAFRet

Titan
Absolutely, no question about it.

Full wipe and reinstall.