Mmmmmmmmmmm???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zinaldo

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
My friends told me that bought card 260 or higher will be the highest performance from a card, from 5870 or 5850 cuze ati card dont have phezex Technology

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

This is coming from someone who would get married at AMD HQ if he could.

PhysX can be nice when used properly and can make a big difference in the 'realism' in certain games.
Go to Youtube and search for:

-Mirrors Edge physX demo
-Cryostasis PhysX demo
-Batman PhysX demo

These are the only games, that i can think of, that use physX well and it pays off i think, some really nice effects (although i do agree the flyin paper is a bit cack!) but things like fluids and cloth simulation can look really good!

The thing is i expect physX to be implemented more and more unless openCL takes over, in which case Nvidia's cards will be capable of handling it anyway so i think its nice to have that wide compatibility.

Although if you dont think physX is worth it, then HD 4870 and anything above is a great buy from AMD!

randomizer

Champion

Who me? I have a GTX275, doesn't that mean I'd rather Jen-Hsun do the ceremony? :love:

All those things are great, but any physics engine can do them, the developers just decided to tie it to a proprietary physics engine. You can get Batman (not sure about the others) PhysX to run on the CPU as well, although it's more effort than should be required even though it's not hard. Open physics engines should be used where possible, or at least more open than PhysX.

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009

Didnt know it could be done on the CPU?? It give good results?

randomizer

Champion
It requires reducing the physics update rate significantly, but it doesn't seem to do much to the appearance of the game. The side-effects are slightly less movement with paper and stuff, and the occasional clipping issue where paper can go through Batman. So it's not as good as on an NVIDIA GPU (as you'd hope considering how much they market it as their gift to mankind), but it's not terrible for a hack-job workaround.

I'm not sure if it works on the patched version of the game, they might have... *ahem* ... fixed it.

There's some thread on XS about the new AMD OpenCL SDK and getting PhysX in this game on Radeons as well, but it might also be CPU-based, I didn't look at it much.

siddsm

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Although if you dont think physX is worth it, then HD 4870 and anything above is a great buy from AMD!

Yeah, even though the 4870 is an older technology, has lesser transistors (read millions:billions), consumes more power par output, has lesser clock speeds in comparison to the 5800 series, you should totally go for the 4870!!! No questions asked there at all!!

I think you have to learn what PhysX actually does before you can be in a position to actually decide if it appeals to you. Like DX10/DX11, a game vendor could put on their box that their game supports PhysX / DX10 / DX 11 but that doesn't mean they spent the time to make the most of the technology. You have to decide if graphics effects like this are important to you:

-Should smoke and steam be visible and behave like smoke an steam ?
-When your toon runs through a park and your go thru a pile of leaves, should they be disturbed or remain glued to the ground ?
-If you knock over a desk with papers on it, should the papers stick to the desk or should they fly around ?
- Should flags wave in the breeze ?
-Of you walk thru a curtain or spiderwebs should they move / get torn ?
-If you fire a rocket launcher at a plaster wall, should there be more than a smudge on the wall ?
-Should your enemies fall in exactly the same ways all the time ?
-Should glass break, well like glass breaks ?

My youngest son (13) goes thru games so fast he wouldn't even notice....the middle guy (18) is more interested in the "immersion" and realism and this is more important to him. Batman's vendor it seems put a decent amount of effort into utilizing these effects in a way that significantly affects the user's experience.

read the game review here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylum_physx_performance/

and watch the video to see if this kinda thing tickles your fancy.

Also note, that at least for now, ATI users can enjoy PhysX technology on /XFire capable boards
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ATI-physx-patch-gpu,8786.html

So basically, if the technology is attractive to you, go for it. If I had to choose from what I see here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylum_physx_performance/

and what I see in the images here for DX11:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3650&p=2

It's a pretty easy choice.

The big question is, do you need a card today ? Unless your card just broke, or if you just got a new game which is unplayable, there's no need to make a decision now. We just saw a big dude (ATI) enter the DX11 ring and he looks pretty tough, but the other guy (nVidia) is still in the dressing room.....I'm not willing to bet who's going to win until I see what comes outta that room and how his performance stands up.