MMORPG legislation in China

Fascinating development in the news at:

I've summarized the basic points, below...

"The government in Beijing is reported to be introducing the controls
to deter people from playing [online role-playing games] for longer
than three consecutive hours. ... The new system will impose penalties
on players who spend more than three hours playing a game by reducing
the abilities of their characters. Gamers who spend more than five
hours will have the abilities of their in-game character severely
limited... Players will be forced to take a five-hour break before
they can return to a game."

I'm not saying the measures will definitely be introduced, mind you,
but I still find the situation incredible! Who would have thought,
back in the infancy of online gaming, that a government would even
contemplate introducing legislation like this? It's a weird world :)

Palindrome

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:15:45 +0100, Palindrome
<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Fascinating development in the news at:
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4183340.stm
>
>I've summarized the basic points, below...
>
>"The government in Beijing is reported to be introducing the controls
>to deter people from playing [online role-playing games] for longer
>than three consecutive hours. ... The new system will impose penalties
>on players who spend more than three hours playing a game by reducing
>the abilities of their characters. Gamers who spend more than five
>hours will have the abilities of their in-game character severely
>limited... Players will be forced to take a five-hour break before
>they can return to a game."
>
>I'm not saying the measures will definitely be introduced, mind you,
>but I still find the situation incredible! Who would have thought,
>back in the infancy of online gaming, that a government would even
>contemplate introducing legislation like this? It's a weird world :)
>

>Palindrome

Its nothing new- we in the West have had this sort of thing for years
- but we know it as "Wife" or "Girlfriend" :)

rb

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:36:44 +0100, red baron <blah@blah.com> wrote:

>Its nothing new- we in the West have had this sort of thing for years
>- but we know it as "Wife" or "Girlfriend" :)

LMAO - aye, I forgot about "Girlfriend v1.09 Beta" and "Wife v2" :D

Palindrome

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:36:44 +0100, red baron <blah@blah.com> wrote:
>
>>Its nothing new- we in the West have had this sort of thing for years
>>- but we know it as "Wife" or "Girlfriend" :)
>
> LMAO - aye, I forgot about "Girlfriend v1.09 Beta" and "Wife v2" :D

Have to be even more careful than you think.

Wife V2 will, after a random period of time, spawn an additional creature,
Baby v1. (I found that out about 5 months ago.)
--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

> Fascinating development in the news at:

> I've summarized the basic points, below...
>
> "The government in Beijing is reported to be introducing the controls
> to deter people from playing [online role-playing games] for longer
> than three consecutive hours. ... The new system will impose penalties
> on players who spend more than three hours playing a game by reducing
> the abilities of their characters. Gamers who spend more than five
> hours will have the abilities of their in-game character severely
> limited... Players will be forced to take a five-hour break before
> they can return to a game."
>
> I'm not saying the measures will definitely be introduced, mind you,
> but I still find the situation incredible! Who would have thought,
> back in the infancy of online gaming, that a government would even
> contemplate introducing legislation like this? It's a weird world :)

Ain't communism grand?

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:39:09 GMT in
<Xns96BD6C5CDB039Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Fascinating development in the news at:

>> I've summarized the basic points, below...
>>
>> "The government in Beijing is reported to be introducing the controls
>> to deter people from playing [online role-playing games] for longer
>> than three consecutive hours. ... The new system will impose penalties
>> on players who spend more than three hours playing a game by reducing
>> the abilities of their characters. Gamers who spend more than five
>> hours will have the abilities of their in-game character severely
>> limited... Players will be forced to take a five-hour break before
>> they can return to a game."
>>
>> I'm not saying the measures will definitely be introduced, mind you,
>> but I still find the situation incredible! Who would have thought,
>> back in the infancy of online gaming, that a government would even
>> contemplate introducing legislation like this? It's a weird world :)
>>

>Ain't communism grand?

Not sure it's got a lot to do with communism... more to do, probably,
with idiots killing each other and some guy dropping dead at the
computer after playing for three days with no break...

On the other hand, I just look at that sort of thing as "culling the
herd."
It's Nature's way.

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:kaoPe.266$4P5.93
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:39:09 GMT in
> <Xns96BD6C5CDB039Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
>>
>>> Fascinating development in the news at:
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4183340.stm
>>>
>>> I've summarized the basic points, below...
>>>
>>> "The government in Beijing is reported to be introducing the controls
>>> to deter people from playing [online role-playing games] for longer
>>> than three consecutive hours. ... The new system will impose penalties
>>> on players who spend more than three hours playing a game by reducing
>>> the abilities of their characters. Gamers who spend more than five
>>> hours will have the abilities of their in-game character severely
>>> limited... Players will be forced to take a five-hour break before
>>> they can return to a game."
>>>
>>> I'm not saying the measures will definitely be introduced, mind you,
>>> but I still find the situation incredible! Who would have thought,
>>> back in the infancy of online gaming, that a government would even
>>> contemplate introducing legislation like this? It's a weird world :)
>>>

>>Ain't communism grand?
>
> Not sure it's got a lot to do with communism... more to do, probably,
> with idiots killing each other and some guy dropping dead at the
> computer after playing for three days with no break...
>
> On the other hand, I just look at that sort of thing as "culling the
> herd."
> It's Nature's way.

Oh, it's all about communism. No way that kind of idea would fly in a
democratic society.

This sort of over-reaction is almost surreal.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:39:09 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

>SNIP<

>> I'm not saying the measures will definitely be introduced, mind you,
>> but I still find the situation incredible! Who would have thought,
>> back in the infancy of online gaming, that a government would even
>> contemplate introducing legislation like this? It's a weird world :)
>>

>Ain't communism grand?

Lol, aye :) Ain't Virtual Capitalism, grand too - I noted a news
item earlier this week where a Chinese guy was arrested, in Japan, for
"mugging" gamers in Lineage II with his band of 'bots and selling the
stuff he stole for actual cash.

They sure picked up the basics of Western civilization quick ;)

Palindrome

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in

> bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:kaoPe.266$4P5.93
> @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:39:09 GMT in
>> <Xns96BD6C5CDB039Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
>> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>>>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

>>>Ain't communism grand?
>>
>> Not sure it's got a lot to do with communism... more to do, probably,
>> with idiots killing each other and some guy dropping dead at the
>> computer after playing for three days with no break...
>>
>> On the other hand, I just look at that sort of thing as "culling the
>> herd." It's Nature's way.
>>

> Oh, it's all about communism. No way that kind of idea would fly in a
> democratic society.
>
> This sort of over-reaction is almost surreal.

Well, it's all about totalitarianism...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in

> Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in
>
>> bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:kaoPe.266$4P5.93
>> @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>>
>>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:39:09 GMT in
>>> <Xns96BD6C5CDB039Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
>>> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

> controls
> penalties
> reducing

>:)

>>> Not sure it's got a lot to do with communism... more to do,
>>> probably, with idiots killing each other and some guy dropping dead
>>> at the computer after playing for three days with no break...
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I just look at that sort of thing as "culling the
>>> herd." It's Nature's way.
>>>

>> Oh, it's all about communism. No way that kind of idea would fly in a
>> democratic society.
>>
>> This sort of over-reaction is almost surreal.
>>

> Well, it's all about totalitarianism...

Yes, that would be more correct.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <Xns96BD8C34E24ECRumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:kaoPe.266$4P5.93
> @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:39:09 GMT in
> > <Xns96BD6C5CDB039Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
> > <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
> >
> >>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> >>Ain't communism grand?
> >
> > Not sure it's got a lot to do with communism... more to do, probably,
> > with idiots killing each other and some guy dropping dead at the
> > computer after playing for three days with no break...
> >
> > On the other hand, I just look at that sort of thing as "culling the
> > herd."
> > It's Nature's way.
> >

> Oh, it's all about communism. No way that kind of idea would fly in a
> democratic society.

> This sort of over-reaction is almost surreal.

Yep. Almost surreal.

However "Department of Homeland Security" being uncannily like Orwell's
"Ministry of Peace" however *is* surreal.

Its not China yet, but they're playing catch-up as fast as they can. I
concur with Graeme and your re-assessment of it being about
totalitarianism not communism.

The US is still a healthy capitalism... but the democracy part is
starting to give out.

TRENDING THREADS