MMORPG VRAM Requirements

Chaosinfinite

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Do MMORPG's require a lot of VRAM? I am upgrading my graphics cards and I don't know whether to get the 2GB models or the 4GB models.

Chaosinfinite

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

So, if I am using two then I should get the 4GB? I plan to SLI too, so would just 2 2GB work?

are you using both monitors to game? meaning 3D surround/eyefinity, where the game is simultaneously rendered on both monitors together in something like 3960x1080p? Even then, 2GB should be enough, 4GB should only be considered for three monitors or above and even then it's a bit of a rip off.

as for SLI, keep in mind that VRAM do not stack, the two cards process frames separately, thus having two 2GB cards still gives you 2GB of effective VRAM

Chaosinfinite

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

Ah, okay. 
No, I was going to use one monitor to game and use the other to watch stuff on. I'm just looking for a new card since my 670 FTW LE's didn't work the way I would like. Might keep on waiting too.. lame freebies by Nvidia this time around.

Chaosinfinite

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

SLI issues, displayport issues, and the fact that the "LE" stands for "Light Edition" irked me. With one I couldn't get a steady 60fps. More like 40ish... which I feel isn't great since my CPU is OC'd to 4.4GHz. After I was finally able to overcome the SLI installation issues, the FPS were even worse than that. Just frame drops and stuttering frequently.

I was thinking about getting a pair of vanillas, but I still don't know yet. Just trying to figure out everything before I make another purchase. (Tired of burning money if you know what I mean).

Chaosinfinite

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

FFXIV.

Also it never maintained 60fps on The Witcher 2. Would dip into the high 40's at times (Just with one card, Never tried with SLI).