Mobil Internet & BellSouth & Cingular???

Shirley,, put a round on my plastic,, doubles for answers....

Hi,

We travel up to see our kids in the D.C. a couple times a year,, most times we fly.. We have a
6340I with a nation wide gait plan (250/3500 hrs),, and the 6340I serial cable. Our home PC and/or
the laptop can/is hard-wired to BS DSL,, with 20hr dial-up back-up in the plan.. My laptop also has
an 11g card,, but that's another thread.. I would like to be able to capitalize on the gait plan and
the dial-up back-up from the DSL contract.

1)has anyone tried dial up through a 6340I serial link?
2)is the old PC modem to a hard-wired phone line better,, safer,, faster??
3)suggestions

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality

DC

Jim,
I have used the 6340i as a dialup modem, the only problem is the speed is
very slow (9.6k) compared to dialing on a
landline (24k - 56k). Good luck.
DC

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Shirley,, put a round on my plastic,, doubles for answers....
>
> Hi,
>
> We travel up to see our kids in the D.C. a couple times a year,, most
times we fly.. We have a
> 6340I with a nation wide gait plan (250/3500 hrs),, and the 6340I serial
cable. Our home PC and/or
> the laptop can/is hard-wired to BS DSL,, with 20hr dial-up back-up in the
plan.. My laptop also has
> an 11g card,, but that's another thread.. I would like to be able to
capitalize on the gait plan and
> the dial-up back-up from the DSL contract.
>
> 1)has anyone tried dial up through a 6340I serial link?
> 2)is the old PC modem to a hard-wired phone line better,, safer,, faster??
> 3)suggestions
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

Get a nokia 6200, the mobile quicklink software and hardware from
Cingular, and you will be set. Very fast speed, and Cingular has an
unlinmited ISP plan for 20 dollars month

chip

DC wrote:
> Jim,
> I have used the 6340i as a dialup modem, the only problem is the speed is
> very slow (9.6k) compared to dialing on a
> landline (24k - 56k). Good luck.
> DC
>
> <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>>Shirley,, put a round on my plastic,, doubles for answers....
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>We travel up to see our kids in the D.C. a couple times a year,, most
>
> times we fly.. We have a
>
>>6340I with a nation wide gait plan (250/3500 hrs),, and the 6340I serial
>
> cable. Our home PC and/or
>
>>the laptop can/is hard-wired to BS DSL,, with 20hr dial-up back-up in the
>
> plan.. My laptop also has
>
>>an 11g card,, but that's another thread.. I would like to be able to
>
> capitalize on the gait plan and
>
>>the dial-up back-up from the DSL contract.
>>
>>1)has anyone tried dial up through a 6340I serial link?
>>2)is the old PC modem to a hard-wired phone line better,, safer,, faster??
>>3)suggestions
>>
>>Thanks
>>Jim
>>An Old Parrot Head,
>>In the Conch Republic,
>>Just South of Reality

DC

The unlimited plan for $20 that you referenced (Media Works) is for browsing
with your phone only, it does not support a connection to your laptop. Some
people have been successful (for now) in getting Media Works to work with
their laptop, but if you ask Cingular they will tell you it is not allowed.
DC

"DC" <dc295@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| The unlimited plan for $20 that you referenced (Media Works) is for
browsing
| with your phone only, it does not support a connection to your laptop.
Some
| people have been successful (for now) in getting Media Works to work with
| their laptop, but if you ask Cingular they will tell you it is not
allowed.
| DC

No where in their terms (at least last time a looked a week ago or so ago
before I signed up) do they forbid tethering to another device (notebook,
PDA, etc.). I typically get speeds around 40-50kbps through my notebook
connected via bluetooth to GPRS.

DC

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "DC" <dc295@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> | The unlimited plan for $20 that you referenced (Media Works) is for
> browsing
> | with your phone only, it does not support a connection to your laptop.
> Some
> | people have been successful (for now) in getting Media Works to work
with
> | their laptop, but if you ask Cingular they will tell you it is not
> allowed.
> | DC
> |

> No where in their terms (at least last time a looked a week ago or so ago
> before I signed up) do they forbid tethering to another device (notebook,
> PDA, etc.). I typically get speeds around 40-50kbps through my notebook
> connected via bluetooth to GPRS.

I acknowledge that it is not mentioned in their terms, but if you ask they
will tell you it is not allowed! Many of us are not able to get our
connections to work, I get the "Must Subscribe to GPRS" error message and TS
will not help.
DC

| "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
| >
| > "DC" <dc295@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| > | The unlimited plan for $20 that you referenced (Media Works) is for
| > browsing
| > | with your phone only, it does not support a connection to your laptop.
| > Some
| > | people have been successful (for now) in getting Media Works to work
| with
| > | their laptop, but if you ask Cingular they will tell you it is not
| > allowed.
| > | DC
| > |
| > |

| > No where in their terms (at least last time a looked a week ago or so
ago
| > before I signed up) do they forbid tethering to another device
(notebook,
| > PDA, etc.). I typically get speeds around 40-50kbps through my notebook
| > connected via bluetooth to GPRS.
| >

| I acknowledge that it is not mentioned in their terms, but if you ask they
| will tell you it is not allowed! Many of us are not able to get our
| connections to work, I get the "Must Subscribe to GPRS" error message and
TS
| will not help.
| DC

Some CS reps tell you it isn't allowed, others tell you it is. They are
doing nothing to block it on their side. It is a simple NAT translation
giving you the IP. The reason some tell you it cannot be done is they do not
want to have to deal with supporting it if you can't get it configured
properly.