Question Mobile CPUs vs. Desktop?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
I've always wondered, how many years difference is the latest smartphone processor compared to the latest desktop CPU? What I mean is this: For example, my phone has a Snapdragon 845 CPU. How far back would you have to go to the point where the latest Desktop CPU of that time is equal in performance to the SD845? Like how would it compare to an i5 2500K, or an old Core 2 Quad, or even a Pentium D in terms of clock rates, performance, IPC, etc? What old flagship Desktop CPU would be on par with the latest smartphone CPUs?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
google is your friend:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/8vfxcn/from_what_year_would_pc_cpu_compare_to_modern/

Current high end phone = CPU from 2010, more or less.
But, code, cooling, power draw, chip architecture...all lead to not being able to actually compare.

Real world:
Me on my mountain bike can accelerate faster than your car for the first 15-20 feet.
Which is faster?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
google is your friend:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/8vfxcn/from_what_year_would_pc_cpu_compare_to_modern/

Current high end phone = CPU from 2010, more or less.
But, code, cooling, power draw, chip architecture...all lead to not being able to actually compare.

Real world:
Me on my mountain bike can accelerate faster than your car for the first 15-20 feet.
Which is faster?

They say the biggest difference is architecture. So I'm thinking it's the difference between an all-electric car vs. a typical gas powered car. Sure they are vastly different, but at the end of the day, they both do the same thing. They both get you to and from work, the grocery store, they both make your radio work, they both power the drive train, steering etc. Their real world use isn't different. I'm trying to figure out which is more powerful. Like what flagship Intel chip from what year would go up against like a Samsung galaxy s10 CPU and be close to the same

USAFRet

Titan
The real world use IS different.

While you can play a game on both, you can't play the same game code on a phone or a desktop.
The code is optimized for each platform.

A desktop will trivially output to 2 or the screens. A phone will not.
A phone will fit in your pocket. A desktop will not.

A better analogy might be a Ferrari and a schoolbus.
The F40 is obviously faster, but not if I need to transport 50 people down the road.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
The real world use IS different.

While you can play a game on both, you can't play the same game code on a phone or a desktop.
The code is optimized for each platform.

A desktop will trivially output to 2 or the screens. A phone will not.
A phone will fit in your pocket. A desktop will not.

A better analogy might be a Ferrari and a schoolbus.
The F40 is obviously faster, but not if I need to transport 50 people down the road.

So when they ported fartnite to mobile, did they have to completely rebuild the game from scratch using ARM architecture?

I believe Geekbench4 has mobile and desktop cross platform compatibility. You can download the app and run it on your phone. Then compare to their results database. (Or Google around and find someone who has already)

As others have said, the limiting factor is and always will be power. It's difficult to stack up when a desktop CPU can be using 20-50x more power. But, as in ARM servers, performance isn't linearly related to power usage, so if you bundle together 20-50 ARM CPUs, you get much better performance (but lower performance density obviously)

Last edited: