Question Mobile GPU recommendations to run multiple portable USB displays running a resource-intensive stock charting platform (thinkorswim)

May 3, 2019
Hey guys,

I currently have the following 2012 laptop:

My model has the Intel Core i7-3820QM CPU (not listed in the official spec sheet) and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 2GB DDR3, and 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM.

And on this dated laptop, I'm actually able to run multiple monitors simultaneously - one via HDMI, one via VGA, plus three (3) of the following portable USB displays:
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MB16AC/

I connect these portable displays to the laptop via the following USB data hub that has a 60W power supply:
https://www.anker.com/products/variant/usb-30-superspeed-10port-hub/68ANHUB-B10A

Apparently, a lot of people seem to think that running multiple of these portable USB displays on a laptop is problematic, but I've been doing it for years and it works flawlessly.

Everything works fine. However, I'll need to upgrade my laptop soon. I do not intend on buying a high-end laptop yet. I'll wait for Intel to introduce 10nm or possibly 7nm H-Series CPUs in the coming years. I know this will take time (2021 & beyond), but I'm in no rush.

For now, though, I'm looking for something towards the higher end of the midrange, so maybe an Intel Core i7-9750H, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, and 32GB of DDR4 2666 MHz RAM.

I have a couple of questions, one for my immediate buying decisions, and one for the future.

1. I mostly use this laptop to run a stock charting platform called thinkorswim:
https://www.tdameritrade.com/tools-and-platforms/thinkorswim/features.page

I run multiple instances of it, one on each display, and it's a very CPU, GPU, and RAM intensive application. I intend on adding more (possibly 1 to 3 more units for a grand total of 4 to 6) portable USB displays, which is why my current laptop will not be adequate. I'm already using 80%+ of CPU & RAM as it is, so an upgrade is necessary.

I do not intend on getting a desktop PC since I need to work remotely most of the time, so a laptop + multiple portable USB displays is the ideal setup for me.

For those of you familiar with the GTX 1660 Ti for laptops, do you think it's capable of running up to six (6) of the portable USB display model I listed above? I mean my current 2012 GeForce GT 650M runs 3 of them kinda smoothy, so I'm guessing the 1660 Ti should have no problems at all, but I just wanted to double-check. Please bear in mind that each of the displays will be running thinkorswim, which is very resource-intensive.

2. Looking ahead to the future of the portable USB display market, companies are beginning to release powerful models, most interestingly the following:

At some point in the next few years, I'll be looking to upgrade my portable displays (4 to 6 units) to something like the above model, with low response time & a high refresh rate. Who knows, by then there might even be OLED 17.3" portable USB4 displays with 120Hz+ refresh rate and 4K resolution! It's entirely possible!

For those of you familiar with the differences between the NVIDIA GeForce RTX models (e,g, 2080 Max-Q) vs. NVIDIA Quadro RTX GPU models (e.g. RTX 5000), I understand that the former lineup is geared towards gaming, and the latter is geared towards content creation, but as I said, I'm into stock trading and need a mobile GPU that is ideal to run multiple (4-6) USB monitors (with 120Hz+ refresh rate & potentially 4K resolution) drawing resource-intensive charts in real-time.

So which GPU lineup is more suitable for that specific purpose? GeForce RTX or Quadro RTX? And why?

Thank you!