Question Mobile LAN over WiFi ?

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
Not sure how to ask this question - networking is not my strong suit.

I have a machine that I want to use as LAN file sharing / Parsec activity (remote rendering, etc,) over Wifi. Basically, I wheel this machine into a space and allow 10-20 users with Wifi to connect to it as a hub for LAN activity. Internet access is not great where I would be using this, so a web-mediated solution is not going to work. I'd normally just have a router and ethernet cables for people to use, but that is not practical in this case.

Any recommendations as to the best way to do this? Router and/or software suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Although you can likely use the pc as wifi AP and maybe provide IP addresses via DHCP it is a pain. Used to be called internet connection sharing but I don't know what microsoft calls it now. You don't actually need internet to use this.

I am unclear why you can't use the router you have used in the past to do this but use wifi on the router instead or in addition to ethernet.

All you do is hook the "server" pc to one of the lan port and in most cases used the defualt configuration on the router. The router will allow lan access and provide the IP addresses to the clients. It is optional to hook something to the wan port if you do not need internet.

Reactions: bloodedbythought

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
Thanks for this - Wifi router was what I was assuming, but I did not know if there was a smarter/easier way. Appreciate your reply!
T
Although you can likely use the pc as wifi AP and maybe provide IP addresses via DHCP it is a pain. Used to be called internet connection sharing but I don't know what microsoft calls it now. You don't actually need internet to use this.

I am unclear why you can't use the router you have used in the past to do this but use wifi on the router instead or in addition to ethernet.

All you do is hook the "server" pc to one of the lan port and in most cases used the defualt configuration on the router. The router will allow lan access and provide the IP addresses to the clients. It is optional to hook something to the wan port if you do not need internet.