[SOLVED] Mobile laptop options

Kayeye

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I currently have spectrum home internet which has an ”unlimited“ data plan (reduced speeds past 30gb usage /mo), but it’s only for mobile devices, ie. phones / tablets and it requires you to use those devices as a hotspot if you want to connect a laptop to it. I’m on the road a lot and would like to get a laptop set up with some kind of mobile internet plan that does not require me to use a phone as a hot spot. What are some of the options available? I’ve heard of truckers using some kind of satellite service but that was years ago.

Solution
You can get USB modems that work directly on laptops. Not sure on the data plans that are available. Then again it depends on where you travel since some vendors have better coverage than others.

Satellite normally requires a fairly large dish and is costly and has large latency. Lots of rumors of various low orbit satellites but nothing that is being sold to end consumers yet.
You can get USB modems that work directly on laptops. Not sure on the data plans that are available. Then again it depends on where you travel since some vendors have better coverage than others.

Satellite normally requires a fairly large dish and is costly and has large latency. Lots of rumors of various low orbit satellites but nothing that is being sold to end consumers yet.

Solution