mobile memory parallelism

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
We every day hear about RAM, ROM of mobile devices (cell phones and tablets). Internal and external storage in these mobile devices. What I wanna know is distinguish their mobile meaning. What are these memories for cell phone and tablets? Of course, I know acronyms, but, the perfect meaning for me, would be to make a parallelism with PCs’ memories (RAM, ROM, EPROM, EEPROM, HDD, flash drive, SDHC, etc)? I think this would be the perfect way to understand.

Thank you

The meaning is the same. Cell phones are really a particular small form factor computer with a constant mobile data connection. They're PCs that fit in your pocket.

RAM is RAM. Android is currently 64 bit and modern phones are passing 4GB at the high end.
Storage serves the same function. HDD/flash drive/etc are particular types but the function is the same. Phones of course don't have the physical space for HDD, beside HDD are a bad fit based on their sensitivity to movement. The type of storage in a phone is some variety of flash. External card slots let you add more flash as what in a PC would be called the "D" drive.

johnyb98

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
Thank you for the answer.
For the following tablet

https://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_10-8604.php

the problem is that, not only the specific page, but many other, do not say e.g. hard drive for the buyer to know how many storage he will have, in order the downloaded apps to be installed. So, in PC world, it is just, and easier, to say hard drive for that role. In the specific page, the HDD role is "Memory internal", I guess. And not only that, but, the end user gets confused with this

16/32 GB, 2 GB RAM.

Totally confused the way it is written, and also it is written in RAM way. But I guess, it is (let's say for the16GB RAM or HDD) from this 16, the 2 is being used for true RAM. So, useful HDD is 16-2 equals 14GB for end user clean usage (downloaded apps, videos, photos, documents, etc).

Someone should have make a good research before proceed to a buy.

Documentation could always be better. Generally the larger amount will be storage for apps/pictures/music/whatever. In that case, you'd have 2GB for the system RAM and a choice between a 16GB version or a 32 GB version, where all else is the same except the amount of storage (HDD equivalent).

In that case 32 would be clearly preferable, particularly since that 16 or 32 doesn't factor in the existing use by the Android OS and pre-installed apps which uses a few gigs right out of the box. A "16GB" tablet might only have 8 or 9 GB free space out of the box.