Question Mobile Motherboard/System Without Somewhat Unresolvable GPU Heat Issues

Mar 2, 2019
Over the years I am the guy stuck constantly re-flowing mobile DGPU’s for my family. I am getting sick of it- I have to many of them out there and eventually they always coming back. Honestly, there is not really a laptop out there that runs cool. Possibly Tough Book’s ect, but then you pay the premium and besides those come with their own slew of compromises.
New motherboards cost too much, and are often already thin on the supply side as everyone and their brother/sister need and buy them (and will ultimately fail in the same way). Refurbished motherboards are reflowed and not going to last, possibly longer than a hack job reflow, but not by much.

Most of my friends and family are just trying to use a laptop for general tasks (not gaming or heavy photo/video editing), so here is what I am trying to figure out- do newer laptops with IGPU CPU’s still work if the DGPU over heats? I can’t seem to find a laptop that only utilizes an IGPU CPU, it seems that all these newer systems are designed to default video of off the IGPU CPU, and then utilize the DGPU when ideal.

-Are there any laptops out there (IGPU CPU with DGPU), some or all, that go into “Safety Mode” and won’t allow the machine to boot if the DGPU does not past Bios Post tests?
In a perfect world, some newer machines would be offered with a simple DGPU that would naturally run a lot cooler. Think like a twelve year old DGPU that has been super refined over the years. But thanks to capitalism and “creative” engineering (machines fail out of warranty- job security/sales security) this option is not available. An offering of non ultra-thin would be great also, but unless if you are talking the Tough Book and clones (ie: Gentac) this is another option that has been taken away and no longer offered.

We all know the real problem here, the EPA’s crackdown on lead based solder circa 2006. Lead based solder is the solution to all these problems, but obviously not a viable future solution unless you own your own a robotic micro soldering machine and you are hoarding a stock pile of “the good stuff”. This is also part of the reason why all of our vintage computer crap from the 70’s through the 90’s still run like a top (granted less and larger transistors). Most believe that reflowing is filling microscopic fractures due to heat from inadequate thermal heat radiating. In reality, reflowing is breaking down the “tin whiskers” (which kind of leave microscopic cracks or “voids” as they form) that have formed over time and are shorting out the transistors. Remember, lead solder melts at a much lower temperature than lead-free solder, hence why the heat itself is not really the big issue (if it was your IGPU would be cooked, not re-flowable), it is the thermally induced stress of mobile circuits that are more prone to higher levels of tin whiskers.

We either need lead solder back, DGPU’s to be socket based (PLEASE), an IGPU only motherboard, or an IGPU CPU with DGPU that does not allow firmware to determine if a failed DGPU laptop should be shut down and forced to be serviced. I am the biggest fan of socket based mobile DGPU’s as one would simply just replace the DGPU- to easy, but that logic does not sell more laptops.

To summarize:
-Is there any laptop available new or old that has an IGPU CPU with no DGPU (Atom or Chromebook based week machines ect. don’t count)?
-Are there any laptops out there (IGPU CPU with DGPU), some or all that won't go into “Protection Mode” and won’t allow the machine to boot if the DGPU does not past Bios Post tests?

Thanks all, not your average “Google it on your own” expected response type question (I won't let you superficially add to your post count that easily lol), but maybe some of the firmware programmers out there can chime in- or already customize their own firmware for this very reason. I could probably figure out the customizing of firmware on my own, but honestly I do not have the time and I would be inefficient as firmware source code is not my specialty.

Basically, I am trying to isolate the perfect “thermally durable” laptop for non-gamers and non-graphics professionals.

Mar 2, 2019
OK, so I was starting to figure out what laptops came with I5 and I7 IGPU's without DGPU's with help of specs combined with these two charts:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005751/processors.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005594/processors.html

...but there is a new problem I had overlooked. It seems to be the trend that most of these IGPU CPU's are actually socket-less processors that are directly soldered on much like the on board DGPU's. So it looks like the engineers are not about to let us have our pie and eat it to. I guess that leads the list I want to build to only include socketed mobile IGPU CPU's without (or possibly with depending on bios manipulation) DGPU's. I have a bed feeling about this. I fear the engineers already thought this loophole through, after all their job is to ensure people keep having to replace/buy new laptops right (rhetorical)?

TRENDING THREADS