Question Mobile Router that allows the disabling of radio(wireless) and connect direct to ethernet ?

Apr 12, 2022
Hello guys

Are there any mobile routers, 3g or 4g, that allow us to disable wireless radio connectivity (disable WiFi) and connect to the hotspot via ethernet connection ?

I know alot of the newer huawei 4g and ee 4gee routers have ethernet ports, but I have been unable to find an option to disable the wifi radio on my Huawei ZTE MF286D 4G router... I havnt yet tested EE's 4gee

Last edited:
All depends on what you can call a "mobile" router.

Most these devices are pretty much a small cell phone or tablet computer. They run on battery and small size for easy portability is key. This means they seldom have ethernet ports.

If a device lets you disable the wifi radios when it has ethernet ports is one of those read the manual things. Too many devices on the market and all tend to function differently.

What would work is to buy a inexpensive router that support external 3g/4g modem dongle. A lot of asus models do but many other do also. Since almost very normal router allows you to turn off the radios and all have ethernet it would meet your needs. Problem is they are not really "mobile?"

Apr 12, 2022
Thanks for reply bill.

Alot of the UK 4g routers/mobile hotspots do come with ethernet ports and run solely on a simcard.(Ive edited the title to call it a router as opposed to hotspot)

Good idea with the dongles, do you happen to know the smallest asus model available? Im going to google this to see which other companies offer this and asus range.

Size is an issue, I also only need 2 ethernet ports maximum

Last edited: