Question mobile WiFi AND small peer to peer network?

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Didn't know if this should be in wifi section as it crosses over.

A local business just moved into rural unit in a small peer to peer network. They use mobile phones and mobile (EE UK) 4G broadband.

They want to use two laptops and a NAS.. Normally I would set up a simple system with a BB router to get the DHCP addresses for the three devices.. but i'm unsure how the small EE 4G box with its USB connection to the laptop works; apart from that it does supply internet when plugged into the USB port of their laptop.

I had thought of using a redundant/spare router and turning off the Wifi.... that might supply IP addresses to the devices for setting up a network (laptops/NAS) but not really sure what to do here

Any ideas please. This is out of my knowledge zone.

The simplest solution would be to buy a device from the provider designed to provide service to multiple device. Most providers sell hotspots but it depends if you need ethernet not all hotspots have that.

What it sounds like you have is a modem that is connected via USB. To function it need special drivers. In some cases the ISP has provided enough information that allows other people to write support code in routers. You would have to look through the providers like asus or tplink to see the list of supported modems. You can also look at dd-wrt which is third party firmware. DD-wrt has the largest list. Be very careful you must match both the hardware modem model AND the ISP. Sometime the hardware will work but you need information from the ISP and they did not provide it.

You might be able to use the laptop as a router. It all depends if the driver provided supports ICS. Still this is kinda silly using a expensive laptop as a router.

I suspect it may most cost and time effective to just buy a solution from the ISP.

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
The simplest solution would be to buy a device from the provider designed to provide service to multiple device. Most providers sell hotspots but it depends if you need ethernet not all hotspots have that.

What it sounds like you have is a modem that is connected via USB. To function it need special drivers. In some cases the ISP has provided enough information that allows other people to write support code in routers. You would have to look through the providers like asus or tplink to see the list of supported modems. You can also look at dd-wrt which is third party firmware. DD-wrt has the largest list. Be very careful you must match both the hardware modem model AND the ISP. Sometime the hardware will work but you need information from the ISP and they did not provide it.

You might be able to use the laptop as a router. It all depends if the driver provided supports ICS. Still this is kinda silly using a expensive laptop as a router.

I suspect it may most cost and time effective to just buy a solution from the ISP.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply..

Yes I think it is unnecessarily complicated.. I'll ask them to see what else they can use, on the same tariff, perhaps