Question MOBO advice for I7 7700K

Dec 25, 2019
I already have the Intel I7 7700k CPU. I will get a decent eVGA PS; need a high quality relaible MOBO that is not aimed at gaming or OC, however may use for Flight sim. Don't need flashy RGB but good sound and storage options SATA USB etc. Quality & reliability paramount.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What's your budget?

Generally speaking, some of your goals are at cross-purposes here. Motherboards designed with overclocking and gaming in mind tend to be the ones targeted towards quality and reliability because of the increased stresses of those things.

Similarly, the better sounding motherboards will also generally be targeted at gamers. There's usually not a whole lot of difference in storage options, the main difference really just being how many ports there are. If you have a specific need for a number of ports, you should definitely clarify what that need is.

Dec 25, 2019
What's your budget?

Generally speaking, some of your goals are at cross-purposes here. Motherboards designed with overclocking and gaming in mind tend to be the ones targeted towards quality and reliability because of the increased stresses of those things.

Similarly, the better sounding motherboards will also generally be targeted at gamers. There's usually not a whole lot of difference in storage options, the main difference really just being how many ports there are. If you have a specific need for a number of ports, you should definitely clarify what that need is.
No particular budget but no point in overspending to 'rescue' the unused, new, but 2 year out of date 7700K.
The ASUS ROG Maximus IX APEX percolates to the top on reviews but will need WiFI and I have read sound not that great -designed for OC on the bench. I unfortunately will have to use Windoze 10 for applications. No specific need for ports, just want to make it as versatile as possible. Thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, that motherboard would likely be overkill!

Here's one to look at.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $139.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-26 00:57 EST-0500

Yup, it's gaming targeted, but one of the big problems you'll face is that as of this point, you're not going to see a lot of choices in new Z270 motherboards. ASRock tends to linger in this space more than the other big manufacturers do; they were one of the last companies still selling new Z77 and Z97 motherboards too.

This particular one has a big advantage of the same company's Z270M Pro4 in that it has better sound hardware.

Dec 25, 2019

Here's one to look at.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Yup, it's gaming targeted, but one of the big problems you'll face is that as of this point, you're not going to see a lot of choices in new Z270 motherboards. ASRock tends to linger in this space more than the other big manufacturers do; they were one of the last companies still selling new Z77 and Z97 motherboards too.

This particular one has a big advantage of the same company's Z270M Pro4 in that it has better sound hardware.
Thanks for info.

Dec 25, 2019

Here's one to look at.

PCPartPicker Part List

A really good suggestion on the ASRock and I have made extensive searches on prices and components and ventured into OC. Circumstances have changed in that I now have another desktop PC for workhorse stuff, OC holds some fascination (been out of all this PC building for a while) and the Asus Rog Apex has a Canadian price and free shipping from Amazon.ca whereas the ASRock has a US price and shipping cost. Although still more, not a big difference in cost. So if I get the Asus Apex what memory would you advise and would the Noctua NH-D15 be sufficient or is water advised?
My other option is to sell the unopened 7700K and go with 8700K/9700K/Ryzen ...but maybe not.
Thanks for your help.