MoBo and CPU displaying high temps this month

ronaldofslopes

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
Introduction:
Hello, first of all I am no expert! Well, since roughly the start of June I've been noticing a certain "change" in my rig...
You see, I am an avid gamer and I've noticed noticed that, for example: when playing Overwatch, during 6v6 teamfights with lots of effects and whatnot, my FPS slightly drops from 60(locked) to like 45~53 and it's very noticeable for me as I am definitely not used to such performance drops. When playing Warframe in heavily populated areas full of enemies my FPS also drops quite a lot, more than it should in my opinion at least. I could list more examples but I'm sure you guys get the point by now. Something is not right.
HWMonitor screenshot as I'm typing this: https://i.gyazo.com/6fbafb0c6109c5f20aaf54c8180a0006.png
HWMonitor screenshot while I was playing Overwatch:
https://i.gyazo.com/8699e2ac62f323290d1034590b5a11da.png

My specs: (DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/tU5qXNwm )
78LMT-USB3
FX 6300
R9 270 2gb
8GB RAM HyperX(Dual)
380GB Samsung HDD
1TB Barracuda HDD

Things I have discovered so far:
- I have those "Temp1, Temp2, Temp3" presumably associated with my MoBo. Temp1 displays normal-ish temps such as 40C give or take, but Temp2 & Temp3 display crazy temps like 75+ up to 80C+ or even 90C+. System remains visually stable even during those moments.
- My CPU temps go from 38C~40C when idle up to 79C when gaming. As far as I remember my FX 6300 only went up to 65 under heavy load, but I could be wrong obviously. Never really paid that much attention to my CPU temps, only my GPU's.
- When doing nothing or only typing this post, my CPU temps are sitting at 45C. When watching a 1080p video on Youtube it spikes up to 65C~. It's really irritating.

What I have done so far:
- I superficially blew the insides of my case with an air compressor, which wasn't that dusty to be honest as I've cleaned it not 2 months ago if I am not mistaken.
- Dismounted and cleaned the CPU's cooler with the air compressor and rubbed its insides with cotton sticks.
- Cleaned the old thermal paste from both surfaces and applied new one, spread method.
- Defragged my two HDDs(10% fragmentation only, on both disks), ran an antivirus(Malwarebytes) and ran CCleaner just because.
- Used Windows to check my disk for any errors. Nothing found.

Relevant details:
- My CPU uses a stock cooler.
- Nothing in my computer is OCed.
- My case is really small so the circulation isn't good, but my temps have never been that drastic before.
- I live in a HOT country, but my bedroom is always refrigerated by a somewhat strong AC.
- My system hasn't failed on me or showed any serious signs of failure, except my system completely freezing on me once but that was quite some time ago and a simple reboot did the trick.
- My GPU is perfectly fine. Its temps are comfortable at 50C~59C. One of its 2 stock fans are dead so I am actually impressed with its cooling capacity in such bad conditions(hot ambient, poor circulation, etc). Which puzzles me even more as to why the damn CPU is heating up so much.
- The CPU's fan IS spinning. Pretty fast in my opinion by naked eye but you know, it's subjective.

So... what could be the issue, gentlemen? I'm gonna try replacing the paste again and checking all the coolers for their integrity this week

Solution
It appears, from the core temp shot, that your cpu is not reaching maximum temp: This is good. But you should get another "opinion" from HWInfo 64. When you run this software look at the info. for "CPU [#0]: AMD FX-6300"; this is the temp information directly from the CPU. Then compare it to the next line down which should be the information from your motherboard's sensors (pretty much everything).
Question: How many fans are installed in your small case, what size, where, and in what direction are they directing their airflow? Nothing wrong with inexpensive fans if they are working. Also, did the "wind tunnel" help?
Lastly, might want to get a new cooler. Post your case model and make and we can try to suggest a cooler that will...
My experience with HWMonitor and AMD cpu's is that it is not very accurate. Try HWInfo 64 https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php.
and/or Core Temp
https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

When you replace the paste this time, don't use the spread method; Clean both surfaces with 99% alcohol and when putting on the new thermal paste just place a small amount about the size of a BB or grain of rice in the middle of the CPU then attach the cooler. Too much paste can actually act as an insulator rather then a heat conductor.
Lastly, get the fan fixed on your video card; There are other parts on the card that require cooling that are not monitored (no sensors attached) and they may be heating up and causing your frame rates to drop. Had this happen with a friends Alienware and we had to set up a custom fan profile to keep the card a little cooler even though the monitored temperature was pretty low.

ronaldofslopes

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018

Okay, thank you for all the suggestions.

I replaced the paste and re-seated the heatsink once again. After that, I installed a new cheap fan to blow some air into the case from outside.
To my surprise, it DID help and apparently fixed the problem for the first few hours, showing acceptable temps for my CPU(under 40C most of the time and nearing 55C in games, etctera). Then it started rising again under stress and peaked at 79C when I was playing Overwatch/Warframe. Very frustrating, needless to say.

Now, it seems to be fluctuating from 65C to 75C when I am playing games, and sits at 54C and below when watching videos. Some games like Rocket League don't even push it up to 70C like it used to. So, in short, what I did helped but it's still not good enough.

I need more circulation in that case but I can't afford any aftermarket coolers, so I'm doing whatever I can with the old cheap fans I have at my disposal. My case is always open, so today I am going to install the side panel again and use that little CPU "tunnel" that comes with it on top of my CPU and install another cooler blowing cold air(from my bedroom) into the case. Hopefully it will diminish my issues even more, but I am not sure.

What do you think?

EDIT:
Using Core Temp, those are my temps when playing Overwatch(Almost everything on low settings):
https://i.gyazo.com/cfca0eda70c624ebeac7dfa82f5462de.png

It appears, from the core temp shot, that your cpu is not reaching maximum temp: This is good. But you should get another "opinion" from HWInfo 64. When you run this software look at the info. for "CPU [#0]: AMD FX-6300"; this is the temp information directly from the CPU. Then compare it to the next line down which should be the information from your motherboard's sensors (pretty much everything).
Question: How many fans are installed in your small case, what size, where, and in what direction are they directing their airflow? Nothing wrong with inexpensive fans if they are working. Also, did the "wind tunnel" help?
Lastly, might want to get a new cooler. Post your case model and make and we can try to suggest a cooler that will fit and you can afford: the stock 6300 cooler is Not very good, especially in hotter climates, regardless of air conditioning.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS